Dunedin in Pinellas County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
Orange Belt Railway Station
In 1888, this site was the original location of the Orange Belt Railway Station. A newer station was built in 1900, but burned down. The present station was built in 1924, and used by the Atlantic Coast Railroad Company until the railroad was discontinued in the late 1970's. By the late 1980's, the tracks were removed and the Pinellas Trail now occupies the track bed. This historic station is one of only a few remaining buildings left that exemplify the area's railroad history. Today, this building is occupied by the Dunedin Historical Society & Museum, and showcases collections from Dunedin's history.
Erected 2012 by City of Dunedin.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Notable Buildings • Railroads & Streetcars.
Location. 28° 0.707′ N, 82° 47.329′ W. Marker is in Dunedin, Florida, in Pinellas County. Marker is on Main Street east of Railroad Avenue, on the right when traveling east. Marker is mounted directly on subject building, near the entrance facing Main Street, Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 349 Main Street, Dunedin FL 34698, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Purple Heart Memorial (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); The American's Creed / In Grateful Remembrance (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Dunedin LVT, Landing Vehicle Tracked (approx. half a mile away); Dunedin's African-American Community (approx. half a mile away); Dedicated to the Memory of Dr. Willis Stanley Blatchley (approx. half a mile away); Dr. Willis S. Blatchley House (approx. 0.6 miles away); Historic Andrews Memorial Chapel (approx. 1.6 miles away); Training Area of the U.S. Marine Corps Amphibian Tractor (Alligator) (approx. 2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Dunedin.
Also see . . .
1. Orange Belt Railway.
The Orange Belt Railway was a 3 ft (914 mm) narrow gauge railroad established in 1885 by Russian exile Peter Demens in Florida. It was one of the longest narrow gauge railroads in the United States at the time of its completion in 1888, with a mainline 152 miles (245 km) in length between Sanford, Florida and St. Petersburg, Florida. It carried citrus, vegetables, and passengers; and it interchanged with two standard gauge lines: the Jacksonville, Tampa and Key West Railway at Lake Monroe, Florida and the Florida Central and Peninsular Railroad (Submitted on December 25, 2017, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
2. The Orange Belt Railway.
The railroad was built in a rural agricultural area, that produced traffic only in the late Winter and early Spring. The Orange Belt Investment Co. owned hundreds of thousand of acres, but growth was slow in this section. Only a third of the road was profitable and that was the line from Lachoochee to St. Petersburg. All the communities along the Gulf coast prospered. However the other two thirds of the railroad ran in the red, which brought the railroad into receivership in 1893. The road was sold by the court, right back to its owners, and they reorganized as the Sanford and St. Petersburg RR. The road limped along until March of 1895, when Florida had the great freeze, killing all the Citrus trees. In 1902 the Atlantic Coast Line purchased the narrow gauge lines. The ACL slowly converted the road until the last portion was completed in April of 1908, ending the long run of the last narrow gauge common carrier in Florida. (Submitted on December 25, 2017, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
3. History of the Orange Belt Railway.
Excursions were popular during the tourist season, from January to Easter. A Tarpon Springs Special was usually run from St. Petersburg to Tarpon Springs and back. There was also seasonal fruit and vegetable traffic from December to June. This (Submitted on December 25, 2017, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Credits. This page was last revised on December 28, 2017. It was originally submitted on December 25, 2017, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 296 times since then and 17 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on December 25, 2017, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.