Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Arrington in Williamson County, Tennessee — The American South (East South Central)
 

Arrington

 
 
Arrington Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Karen Emerson-McPeak, 2017
1. Arrington Marker
Inscription.  The early settlement of “Petersburg” was granted a post office in 1858. At that time, the village’s name was changed to Arrington for the nearby creek. Among the early families were Buchanan, Couch, Crockett, Duff, King, Morris, Paschall, Price, Roberts, and Sayers. Four churches were established; Bellview Cumberland Presbyterian (1852), Hopewell A.M.E. (1876), Patton’s Chapel A.M.E. (1882), and First Baptist (1968). Arrington School and Patton’s Chapel School were located on Cox Road. The original store and post office were on the west corner of Wilson Pike and Murfreesboro Road. When the railroad arrived in 1914, a depot was built. At one time, the village had two stores, a livery stable, grist mill, and blacksmith shop
 
Erected 1999 by Williamson County Historical Society.
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Settlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the African Methodist Episcopal (AME) Church, the Postal Mail and Philately, and the Tennessee – Williamson County Historical Society series lists. A significant historical year for this entry is 1858.
 
Location.
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
35° 52.118′ N, 86° 42.927′ W. Marker is in Arrington, Tennessee, in Williamson County. Marker is on Murfreesboro Rd. in front of the Arrington Volunteer Fire Dept. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 4792 Murfreesboro Rd, Arrington TN 37014, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Daniel M. Robison (approx. 0.2 miles away); Kings' Chapel (approx. 1½ miles away); Kings’ Chapel Cemetery / Major William Edmondson (approx. 1.6 miles away); Ozburn Hollow (approx. 2 miles away); Rock Hill (approx. 2.1 miles away); Kix Brooks (approx. 2.2 miles away); John Crafton House (approx. 3.1 miles away); Green Grove Primitive Baptist Church, Est. 1870 / (approx. 3.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Arrington.
 
Arrington Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Karen Emerson-McPeak, December 1, 2017
2. Arrington Marker
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on December 31, 2017. It was originally submitted on December 31, 2017, by Karen Emerson-McPeak of Triune, Tennessee. This page has been viewed 1,304 times since then and 91 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on December 31, 2017, by Karen Emerson-McPeak of Triune, Tennessee. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=112079

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 23, 2024