1753 Open-Air Protestant Interfaith Church Services
Here, in the year 1753, before any church was built, open-air Divine Services were held and Holy Communion administered in English, French, and German, to the first settlers and Garrison of the Town of Lunenburg by the Reverend Jean Baptiste Moreau according to the rites of the Church of England.
Of different races, but of the Protestant Faiths, they intermarried, lived, and worked together in harmony, and in their descendants are blended the virtues of their varied forbears.
Erected by the Congregation of St. John's Church, June 1953.
Erected 1953 by the Congregation of St. John's Church.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & Religion • Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical month for this entry is June 1953.
Location. 44° 22.691′ N, 64° 18.703′ W. Marker is in Lunenburg, Nova Scotia, in Lunenburg County. Marker is at the intersection of Cornwallis Street and Cumberland Street, on the right when traveling north on Cornwallis Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: St John's Anglican Church Grounds, Lunenburg NS B0J 2C0, Canada. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other
Credits. This page was last revised on January 8, 2018. It was originally submitted on January 8, 2018, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 171 times since then and 26 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on January 8, 2018, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.