Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
The Dalles in Wasco County, Oregon — The American West (Northwest)
 

The Thompson House

1889-97

 
 
The Thompson House Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Barry Swackhamer, July 3, 2017
1. The Thompson House Marker
Inscription.  This Victorian house of Queen Anne and Eastlake motifs is located in the historic center of The Dalles. John L. Thompson, a blacksmith who arrived in The Dalles from Boston in 1869, built the house between 1889 and 1897. It served as a family dwelling until 1949, then became a boarding house. The Thompson House represents the growth and development of the city in the late 1880s and exemplifies the numerous Victorian houses that once existed in The Dalles.
 
Erected by City of The Dalles.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Notable Buildings.
 
Location. 45° 36.15′ N, 121° 11.184′ W. Marker is in The Dalles, Oregon, in Wasco County. Marker is on West 3rd Street (U.S. 30) near Liberty Street, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 207 West 3rd Street, The Dalles OR 97058, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. St. Peter's Church (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Umatilla House (about 300 feet away); Second Wasco County Courthouse
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
(about 400 feet away); Vogt Hall (about 400 feet away); Gates Hotel (about 500 feet away); U.S. Post Office (about 500 feet away); Carlisle House (about 500 feet away); Historic Downtown The Dalles (about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in The Dalles.
 
The Thompson House and Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Barry Swackhamer, July 3, 2017
2. The Thompson House and Marker
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on January 9, 2018. It was originally submitted on January 9, 2018, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California. This page has been viewed 161 times since then and 11 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on January 9, 2018, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=112438

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Jun. 20, 2024