Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
The Dalles in Wasco County, Oregon — The American West (Northwest)
 

The Corps of Discovery "Into the Narrows"

Thursday 24th October 1805

 
 
The Corps of Discovery "Into the Narrows" Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Barry Swackhamer, July 2, 2017
1. The Corps of Discovery "Into the Narrows" Marker
(Notes on the map at the bottom of the text, top to bottom: Portage of 1200 yards; Little Narrows 1/4 long 45 yds wide; Encampment 24th Oct; Long Narrows 3 m. long 50 to 100 yds wide; E-che-Lute Nation of 21 large wooden houses stuck 6 feet under ground; 107 sacks of pounded fish.)
Inscription.  President Thomas Jefferson's vision, which was reflected in a letter of credit written in 1803 was about to be realized in less than 200 miles, but first the Corps had to shoot the rapids of the Narrows of the Columbia. The important supplies were portaged and the swimming members of the party boarded the canoes and cast off.
The "Short Narrows" were where Columbia River constricted to only 45 yards wide and a quarter of a mile long and the "Long Narrows" were 150 yards wide and three miles long.
Capt. William Clark wrote ...the horrid appearance of the agitated, gut swelling water was boiling and whorling in every direction...
In the standards of today's canoeists this was a class V rapid and the Corps with their five heavy dugout canoes made the run without incident.
 
Erected by The Dalles Mural Society.
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Exploration. In addition, it is included in the Former U.S. Presidents: #03 Thomas Jefferson, and the Lewis & Clark Expedition series lists. A significant historical date for this entry is October 24, 1805.
 
Location.
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
45° 36.068′ N, 121° 10.778′ W. Marker is in The Dalles, Oregon, in Wasco County. Marker is on East 1st Street near Federal Street, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 420 East 1st Street, The Dalles OR 97058, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Rock Fort Camp (within shouting distance of this marker); I.O.O.F. (Odd Fellows) Hall (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Nickelsen Bookstore (about 400 feet away); Decision at The Dalles (about 400 feet away); The Fur Trade (about 400 feet away); Wingate & Williams Building (about 500 feet away); Maier Building (about 500 feet away); The Pioneer Building (about 600 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in The Dalles.
 
The Corps of Discovery "Into the Narrows" Mural image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Barry Swackhamer, July 2, 2017
2. The Corps of Discovery "Into the Narrows" Mural
The letter in the background reads in part: In the journey which you are about to undertake for the discovery of the course and source of the Missouri, and of the most convenient water communication from the Pacific Ocean, your party being small, it is to be expected ... considerable dangers ... the Indian inhabitants ... and reach ... Pacific ocean...
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on January 10, 2018. It was originally submitted on January 10, 2018, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California. This page has been viewed 174 times since then and 12 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on January 10, 2018, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=112467

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
May. 26, 2024