Rogue River in Jackson County, Oregon — The American West (Northwest)
Erected 1979 by Southern Oregon Historical Society.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Settlements & Settlers • Waterways & Vessels. A significant historical year for this entry is 1851.
Location. 42° 25.868′ N, 123° 10.328′ W. Marker is in Rogue River, Oregon, in Jackson County. Marker is on Rogue River Hwy (U.S. 99). Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Grants Pass OR 97527, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Crossing the Rogue (a few steps from this marker); A Bridge for a New Century (a few steps from this marker); Rising above the Rogue (a few steps from this marker); The City of Rogue River (within shouting distance of this marker); Applegate Trail - Fort Birdseye (approx. 2 miles away); Fort Birdseye (approx. 2 miles Valley of the Rogue Applegate Trail Kiosk (approx. 2.6 miles away); Rock Point, Oregon (approx. 4.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Rogue River.
More about this marker. Marker is located in a riverside park near the Rogue River Chamber of Commerce
Regarding Evan's Ferry. A book titled 'A History of Oregon Ferries Since 1826' contains a quick history on Even's Ferry and tells us:
"1851-1854: Davis Evans operated ferries at several locations. According to most contemporary references, the ferry site of Davis "Coyote" Evans was located at the mouth of Evans Creek at the site to become the city of Rogue River in about 1851. The Evans Ferry site was the next settlement up river from the Perkins Ferry. The ferry site was originally called Tailholt, then Woodville then, finally in 1912, City of Rogue River. The ferry and the traffic to and from the gold fields in California and Oregon provided the original focus of the city. According to the Table Rock Sentinel (Southern Oregon Historical Society) Jan/Feb 1992, No. 1, page 28-29). the first ferry consisted of three hewn logs about thirty inches in diameter covered with planks. It measured 8 feet wide x 45 feet long. A double pulley and winch was used to draw the ferry across the river. The cable was secured to an oak tree on
Also see . . . Jackson County Historical Markers placed by SOHS. This marker is one of a number of historical 'T' markers monumented in the 1970s and 1980s by the Southern Oregon Historical Society and also available for viewing on an interactive map (link above) (Submitted on May 28, 2019, by Douglass Halvorsen of Klamath Falls, Oregon.)
Credits. This page was last revised on May 29, 2019. It was originally submitted on January 10, 2018, by Douglass Halvorsen of Klamath Falls, Oregon. This page has been viewed 223 times since then and 22 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on January 10, 2018, by Douglass Halvorsen of Klamath Falls, Oregon. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.