Near Ashland in Jackson County, Oregon — The American West (Northwest)
First Public Wagon Road 1869 - 1874
Southern Ore. Wagon Road 1874 - 1919
Erected 1976 by Southern Oregon Historical Society.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Exploration. In addition, it is included in the Applegate Trail series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1846.
Location. 42° 8.318′ N, 122° 36.027′ W. Marker is near Ashland, Oregon, in Jackson County. Marker is on Green Springs Highway (U.S. 66). Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Ashland OR 97520, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Barrow Station (approx. one mile away); Siskiyou Mountain Wagon Road (approx. 1˝ miles away); Route of Historic Applegate Trail (approx. 1.7 miles away); Route of Historical Applegate Trail (approx. 1.7 miles away); a different marker also named Siskiyou Mountain Wagon Road (approx. 3.8 miles away); Dead Indian Memorial Road (approx. 4.2 miles away); a different Siskiyou Mountain Wagon Road (approx. 4.6 miles away); Siskiyou Pass (approx. 4.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Ashland.
Regarding Route of. This historical marker is part of a series of historical markers located all around Klamath and Jackson Counties and commissioned by both the Klamath County Historical Society and the Southern Oregon Historical Society.
This particular T-marker showcases the three main sources of travel through this area. The very historic Applegate Trail, the First Public Wagon Road (in Oregon?), and the Southern Oregon Wagon Road. These three routes were a major source of travel for settlers, men traveling to and from California during the California Gold Rush days and for commerce travel, i.e., men bringing food and supplies from one town/encampment to another.
Also see . . . Jackson County Historical Markers placed by SOHS. This marker is one of a number of historical 'T' markers monumented in the 1970s and 1980s by the Southern Oregon Historical Society and also available for viewing on an interactive map (link above) (Submitted on May 28, 2019, by Douglass Halvorsen of Klamath Falls, Oregon.)
Credits. This page was last revised on May 29, 2019. It was originally submitted on January 11, 2018, by Douglass Halvorsen of Klamath Falls, Oregon. This page has been viewed 122 times since then and 9 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on January 11, 2018, by Douglass Halvorsen of Klamath Falls, Oregon. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.