Medford in Jackson County, Oregon — The American West (Northwest)
Medford Public Library
Mr. Andrew Carnegie
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Notable Buildings. In addition, it is included in the Carnegie Libraries 📚 series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1911.
Location. 42° 19.421′ N, 122° 52.61′ W. Marker is in Medford, Oregon, in Jackson County. Marker can be reached from the intersection of W Main St and S Oakland Ave. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Medford OR 97501, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Scion of the Washington Elm (within shouting distance of this marker); Replica of the Statue of Liberty (within shouting distance of this marker); Medford Townsite (within shouting distance of this marker); Historic Land Survey Monument (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Shone-Charley House (approx. ¼ mile away); Cuthbert Building (approx. 0.3 miles away); The War Brings ChangeMedford Boomed As Orchards Bloomed (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Medford.
Also see . . . Medford_Carnegie_Library. The Medford Carnegie Library is a two-story library building located in Medford, Oregon, United States. The building was erected in 1911 (completed in 1912) as a gift from Andrew Carnegie. The Carnegie Library building was vacated in 2004 when all services were moved to a new library building in downtown Medford.
Throughout 2009, the building was occupied by various city offices while renovations were being completed on the existing Medford city hall building. The city spent about $210,000 to have Grants Pass-based Ausland Builders Inc. refurbish about an eighth of the 16,000-square-foot structure to make way for the temporary office space in the old children's book section. The work involved seismic upgrades, insulation, new windows and ceilings.
After City Hall renovations were complete city offices relocated back and further restoration efforts continued on the Carnegie Building. To date nearly $1 million in renovations have been made to the building. The city awarded an $800,000 construction bid to S&B James Construction, based in White City, to replace the library's windows and overhaul its heating and air cooling system. The construction money came from various Oregon Department of Energy grants and federal stimulus dollars. (Submitted on January 12, 2018, by Douglass Halvorsen of Klamath Falls, Oregon.)
Credits. This page was last revised on January 16, 2018. It was originally submitted on January 12, 2018, by Douglass Halvorsen of Klamath Falls, Oregon. This page has been viewed 84 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on January 12, 2018, by Douglass Halvorsen of Klamath Falls, Oregon. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.