Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Dupont Circle in Washington, District of Columbia — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

This section of 15th St.

Dupont Circle

 

— Diverse Visions | One Neighborhood —

 
This section of 15th St. Marker image. Click for full size.
By J. Makali Bruton, July 28, 2016
1. This section of 15th St. Marker
Inscription.  This section of 15th St. and the east-west blocks meeting it were developed mainly from 1874 to 1887 by a group of speculative investors. The house at the corner of 15th and Q Sts. was built earlier, in 1864.

St. Augustine's, Washington's first black Catholic Church, grew from the Blessed Martin School (honoring Saint Martin De Porres), which opened in the 1100 block of 15th St. in 1858. Dedicated in the 1860s as St. Augustine's Church - the church later moved to the 1700 block of 15th St. and then to 15th and V Sts.

At 1733 16th St. stands the House of the Temple (above), the headquarters building of the Scottish Rite of Freemasonry, Southern Jurisdiction, U.S.A. It was designed by John Russell Pope, architect of the National Archives, the National Gallery, the Jefferson Memorial and several churches and residences. Built 1911-1915, the temple was modeled on the mausoleum of Halikarnassos, one of the seven wonders of the ancient world. Its council room is 100 feet high.

Sidebar:
Fire Alarm Boxes such as this one (originally painted red) were installed in the District after the Civil War. Telegraphs
This section of 15th St. Marker image. Click for full size.
By J. Makali Bruton, July 28, 2016
2. This section of 15th St. Marker
This view is towards the east along S Street and the intersection with 15th Street.
Click or scan to see
this page online
transmitted the box number (top) to a fire alarm center. This system was used until the 1970s when the boxes were converted to a telephone system. By the 1990s, the callbox system had been replaced by the 911 system and was abandoned.

Fire Fact | 1893
"Betwixt the fires and deadly wires/
And hydrants plugged with ice/
A "busted" hose, and other woes/
It can't be very nice."
From Fire and Water, 1893, describing the firefighter's job.

Fire Department information and images courtesy of Capitol Fire Museum

Artist | Tom Jennings
Tom Jennings is a local artist specializing in ink drawings and logo design.

Tour guide, map and artist information for all 22 boxes available at: www.DupontCircleCallBox.com
 
Erected by Cultural Tourism DC. (Marker Number 249.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Notable Buildings. In addition, it is included in the DC, Art on Call series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1874.
 
Location. 38° 54.851′ N, 77° 2.08′ W. Marker is in Dupont Circle in Washington, District of Columbia. Marker is at the intersection of 15th Street Northwest and S Street Northwest, on the right when traveling south on 15th Street Northwest. Touch for map.
This section of 15th St. Marker image. Click for full size.
By Devry Becker Jones, January 13, 2018
3. This section of 15th St. Marker
Marker is at or near this postal address: 1800 15th Street Northwest, Washington DC 20009, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Georgia Douglas Johnson Residence (within shouting distance of this marker); Bishop's Gate Condominium (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); John Wesley Cromwell Residence (about 400 feet away); Fifteenth Street Presbyterian Church (about 500 feet away); This is part of the Shaw neighborhood (about 500 feet away); Strong Families and Eminent Citizens (about 500 feet away); Owen D Young Peace Tower (about 600 feet away); Embassy of the Republic of Congo (about 600 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Dupont Circle.
 
The House of the Temple at 1733 16th Street. image. Click for full size.
By J. Makali Bruton, July 28, 2016
4. The House of the Temple at 1733 16th Street.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 10, 2019. It was originally submitted on July 29, 2016, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico. This page has been viewed 258 times since then and 5 times this year. Last updated on January 14, 2018, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on July 29, 2016, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico.   3. submitted on January 14, 2018, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia.   4. submitted on July 29, 2016, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico.

Share This Page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=112663

Paid Advertisement
Jul. 27, 2021