Athens in Athens-Clarke County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
The Red and Black
Students published the first issue of the University of Georgia's campus newspaper, The Red and Black, on Nov. 24, 1893, from offices in the Academic Building (now the Hunter-Holmes Academic Building). The tabloid boosted school spirit, promoted athletic programs and reported on cultural activities for the University's 212 students. The weekly paper was the official organ of the Athletic Council from 1895 to 1928, when it became a laboratory for the School of Journalism in the Commerce-Journalism Building. It was a semiweekly when it moved with the school to the Journalism Building in 1968 and changed to a broadsheet format. In 1980, The Red and Black became independent of the University, supported by advertising, directed by volunteer professionals and produced by students off campus. In 1991, publication was expanded from four to five days a week. The Red and Black has provided University students with valuable training and experience. Distinguished alumni include John E. Drewry, the first dean of the School of Journalism; many acclaimed publishers, editors and writers; leaders in broadcasting, public relations and advertising;
Erected 1994 by Georgia Department of Natural Resources. (Marker Number 029-18.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Communications • Education. In addition, it is included in the Georgia Historical Society series list. A significant historical month for this entry is October 1862.
Location. 33° 57.429′ N, 83° 22.537′ W. Marker is in Athens, Georgia, in Athens-Clarke County. Marker is on Herty Drive 0 miles south of Broad Street, on the left when traveling south. Marker is located behind the Academic Building on the North Campus, University of Georgia. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Athens GA 30601, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Holmes/Hunter Academic Building (within shouting distance of this marker); University of Georgia (within shouting distance of this marker); Clarke County Confederate Monument (within shouting distance of this marker); Robert Toombs Oak (within shouting distance of this marker); Herty Field (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Stoneman Raid (about 500 feet away); Site of First Classes (about 600 feet away); Abraham Baldwin (about 600 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Athens.
Credits. This page was last revised on January 3, 2020. It was originally submitted on September 9, 2008, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 1,340 times since then and 9 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on September 9, 2008, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. 2, 3. submitted on July 16, 2018, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.