Near Miller in Hand County, South Dakota — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
Greenleaf United Methodist Church
Original Church was purchased from C. B. Hendricks for $250.00 in July 1925. Ira T. and Fredericka Howard deeded property for the site December 24, 1925. First service was the Christmas Program held Christmas Day 1925. April 18, 1926 marked the Dedication of the Church. December 29, 1935 marked the Dedication of the beginning of Sunday School. Bazaar and Chicken Supper began September 1934 with the final Church Supper in October 1987. United Methodist Women organized in 1929 and continue the mission-oriented group of faithful and committed members even now. Rev. I.J. Sheldon (1924-1929) first Pastor with Pastor Mary Ann Sheldon (Pastor at time of closing). Twenty-eight pastors served the Greenleaf Church throughout the Years. Church celebrations were held for 75th Anniversary, September 16, 2001, and 85th Anniversary September 18, 2011. The closing worship service was May 27, 2012 with a meal served along with District Superintendent Bob Ruedebusch returning to preach where he had received God's call to ministry. The Church's Mission statement: "Share! Christ's invitation to be part of His Family; Study! To grow
A season for every activity under heaven"
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion. A significant historical date for this entry is April 18, 1926.
Location. 44° 37.185′ N, 99° 4.229′ W. Marker is near Miller, South Dakota, in Hand County. Marker is at the intersection of 191st St and 356th Ave on 191st St. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Miller SD 57362, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 3 other markers are within 12 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Harlan J. Bushfield & Vera S. Cahalan Bushfield (approx. 8 miles away); Ree Heights Roadside Park / Reading Brands (approx. 9.6 miles away); St. Liborius Church - School (approx. 11.3 miles away).
Credits. This page was last revised on January 20, 2018. It was originally submitted on January 18, 2018, by Ruth VanSteenwyk of Aberdeen, South Dakota. This page has been viewed 128 times since then and 8 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on January 18, 2018, by Ruth VanSteenwyk of Aberdeen, South Dakota. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.