Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Millhaven in Screven County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

British Army Crossing

 
 
British Army Crossing Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By David Seibert, August 16, 2005
1. British Army Crossing Marker
Inscription.  On the morning of March 2nd, 1779, the British Command of Lieut.-Col. Prevost reached the west bank of the creek here after an all night march from Hudson's Ferry. The bridge had been destroyed by Col. Leonard Marbury's Dragons guarding the rear of Gen. Ashe's troops bivouacked at Freeman-Miller Bridge 15 miles south.

Infantry and horse forded the stream, engaged and defeated Marbury's Dragons, capturing some while others escaped over Burton's Ferry. Marbury's message to Ashe was intercepted. Prevost's troops and artillery crossed on pontoons before day of the 3rd, and arrived at the surprised Ashe's rear by 3:00 P.M.
 
Erected 1953 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 124-4.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: War, US Revolutionary. In addition, it is included in the Georgia Historical Society series list. A significant historical date for this entry is March 2, 1785.
 
Location. 32° 56.014′ N, 81° 39.005′ W. Marker is in Millhaven, Georgia, in Screven County. Marker is at the intersection of Millhaven Road
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
and Gin House Road, on the right when traveling south on Millhaven Road. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Sylvania GA 30467, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Paris' Mill (here, next to this marker); Old Quaker Road (approx. 4.2 miles away); First McCanaan Baptist Church (approx. 4.6 miles away); Bethel United Methodist Church (approx. 6.6 miles away); Brick (Bethel) Church (approx. 6.6 miles away); Sardis Baptist Church (approx. 6.8 miles away); Jacksonborough (approx. 7˝ miles away); Jacksonboro (approx. 7˝ miles away).
 
Also see . . .  Battle of Brier Creek. The crossing was part of a campaign which culminated in the battle of Brier Creek on March 3. (Submitted on September 11, 2008, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.) 
 
Paris' Mill and British Army Crossing Markers image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Craig Swain
2. Paris' Mill and British Army Crossing Markers
This photo, taken in the 1990s shows an older, weathered version of the British Army Crossing marker.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on September 9, 2008, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 1,586 times since then and 24 times this year. Photos:   1. submitted on September 9, 2008, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia.   2. submitted on September 4, 2008, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=11300

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 25, 2024