Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Girard in Screven County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Brick (Bethel) Church

 
 
Brick (Bethel) Church Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By David Seibert, August 16, 2005
1. Brick (Bethel) Church Marker
Inscription.  On Dec. 5, 1827 the Rev. Peyton L. Wade conveyed to John Green, John H. Smith, Robert W. Lovett, Richard Herringtom, Sr., Jacob Lewis, Elijah Roberts and John H. Nessmith, Trustees, two and three quarter acres of land on which to build a Methodist Episcopal Church to be known as “Brick Church.” Construction was started immediately. The building now on the site is the original. “Brick Church” was a successor to Lessing’s Meeting House, a log building, on nearby Rocky Creek at Scott’s Spring. Rev. John Crawford, who died in 1822, was the founder of Methodism in this community. His widow, Sarah Maner Crawford, married the Rev. Wade in 1823.
 
Erected 1956 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 124-20.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & ReligionSettlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the Georgia Historical Society series list. A significant historical month for this entry is December 1306.
 
Location. 32° 57.914′ N, 81° 32.54′ W. Marker is near Girard, Georgia
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
, in Screven County. Marker is at the intersection of Oglethorpe Trail and an unnamed plantation road, on the left when traveling north on Oglethorpe Trail. The marker is at the church, approximately two miles northwest of US 301. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Girard GA 30426, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 10 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Bethel United Methodist Church (here, next to this marker); Burton's Ferry (approx. 2.6 miles away); Paris' Mill (approx. 6.6 miles away); British Army Crossing (approx. 6.6 miles away); Concord Baptist Church (approx. 7.2 miles away in South Carolina); Antioch Christian Church (approx. 7.4 miles away in South Carolina); Speedwell Methodist Church (approx. 8.2 miles away in South Carolina); First McCanaan Baptist Church (approx. 9.4 miles away).
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on September 9, 2008, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 1,104 times since then and 65 times this year. Photo   1. submitted on September 9, 2008, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.
 
Editor’s want-list for this marker. Pictures of the church. • Wide area picture of the marker and its surroundings. • Can you help?

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=11303

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
U.S. FTC REQUIRED NOTICE: This website earns income from qualified purchases you make on Amazon.com. Thank you.
Paid Advertisements
 
 

Dec. 7, 2023