“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Jacksonville in Jackson County, Oregon — The American West (Northwest)

The Old “Tack Room”

... a witness to change

The Old “Tack Room” Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Douglass Halvorsen, March 10, 2013
1. The Old “Tack Room” Marker
Inscription.  This simple frame building — listed on the National Register of Historic Places - is one of the oldest Forest Service structures in the country. Known for many years as the “tack room,” it has served a variety of purposes since its construction in 1911.

After President Theodore Roosevelt proclaimed much of the Applegate River watershed as a National Forest in 1907, Forest Service rangers arrived to manage its resources. During the scorching summer of 1910, Ranger Horace Whitney made do with a miner’s long-abandoned log cabin for shelter at nearby Star Gulch. The following spring, he returned with his new bride and found “two carpenters just completing a one-room, combined office and living quarters in the middle of the alfalfa patch” on the District’s new compound. Whitney’s one-room building - the one standing before you now - was the first administrative headquarters for the new Applegate Ranger District.

The little building proved too cramped to serve as a year-round home. During the next few summers, the District Ranger and his family preferred to “rough it” in a tent; in the
The Old “Tack Room” Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Douglass Halvorsen, March 10, 2013
2. The Old “Tack Room” Marker
Click or scan to see
this page online
winter, they resided in town. In 1914 a two-story ranger’s residence was built on the slope across the Upper Applegate Road. This home also served as the office until the Civilian Conservation Corps built a new ranger station in the 1930s (visible directly across the road from you).

Because of its small size, the original building - demoted from “office” to storage shed - was easily moved to several locations within the station compound over the years. From Word War I until the mid-1940s, long-time District Ranger Lee Port kept his saddles and other horse “tack” in it. Long after the day of the horse-mounted ranger had passed, the structure held tree-marking paint and other supplies to lay out the District's timber sales.

The Applegate Ranger District as witnessed a great deal of change since 1910, when a ranger spent most of his time riding the range in the high country, building trail, and fighting fire. In a small but real way, the old “tack room” has been part of that transformation. Today it serves as a tangible reminder of the early years and of the many changes that have come to the area since then.
Erected by U.S. Forest Service Department of Agriculture.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Horticulture & Forestry
Star Ranger Station image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Douglass Halvorsen, March 10, 2013
3. Star Ranger Station
Tack Room is in the background
. In addition, it is included in the Former U.S. Presidents: #26 Theodore Roosevelt series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1911.
Location. 42° 9.018′ N, 123° 3.546′ W. Marker is in Jacksonville, Oregon, in Jackson County. Marker is on Upper Applegate Rd, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 6941 Upper Applegate Rd, Jacksonville OR 97530, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 13 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Ruch (approx. 6.1 miles away); Rich Gulch (approx. 12 miles away); Bozo the Clown (approx. 12.1 miles away); The Britt House: Simple Frame to Cottage Gothic (approx. 12.2 miles away); Peter Britt: A Passion for His Garden (approx. 12.2 miles away); City Hall (approx. 12.2 miles away); Britt Sequoia (approx. 12.2 miles away); China Quarter (approx. 12.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Jacksonville.
Credits. This page was last revised on January 28, 2018. It was originally submitted on January 27, 2018, by Douglass Halvorsen of Klamath Falls, Oregon. This page has been viewed 145 times since then and 11 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on January 27, 2018, by Douglass Halvorsen of Klamath Falls, Oregon. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
Paid Advertisements

Mar. 21, 2023