Sisters in Deschutes County, Oregon — The American West (Northwest)
The hotel was built in 1912 by local businessman and Spanish American War veteran John Dennis. Hot and cold water was available to each of the original 19 guest rooms, and every room was supplied with heat from a hot air furnace located in the basement. The plans called for extensive, decorative finish work, which characterized the more upscale establishments found in larger cities. Over the years, the hotel has functioned as a place of lodging, drug store, antique shop, meeting center and restaurant. It continues to be one of the most photographed buildings in Central Oregon.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Architecture • Industry & Commerce. A significant historical year for this entry is 1912.
Location. 44° 17.485′ N, 121° 32.934′ W. Marker is in Sisters, Oregon, in Deschutes County. Marker is at the intersection of East Cascade Avenue (U.S. 20) and North Fir Street, on the right when traveling west on East Cascade Avenue. Marker is mounted at eye-level near entrance to subject building. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 190 East Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 2 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Palace (within shouting distance of this marker); Leithauser General Store (within shouting distance of this marker).
Also see . . .
1. Sisters, Oregon.
The Santiam Highway (U.S. Route 20) and the McKenzie Highway (Oregon Route 126) merge briefly to form Cascade Avenue, the main thoroughfare through downtown Sisters. On Cascade Avenue, there is a lot of pedestrian traffic and many specialty stores and galleries. (Submitted on February 2, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
2. Sisters Oregon History.
In 1888 the post office was relocated to the John J. Smith Store, about three miles south of Camp Polk. It was proposed the post office be named "Three Sisters." Postal authorities shortened the name to "Sisters." Taking advantage of its location at the intersection of the McKenzie and Santiam roads, Sisters soon grew to become a bustling little town. For years, Sisters was a supply station for sheepmen who passed through town on their way to grazing pastures in the Cascades. (Submitted on February 2, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Credits. This page was last revised on October 11, 2020. It was originally submitted on February 2, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 219 times since then and 23 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on February 2, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. 4. submitted on October 11, 2020, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.