Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”

Sandtown in Kent County, Delaware — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Cow Marsh Primitive Baptist Church

 
 
Cow Marsh Primitive Baptist Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By Devry Becker Jones, February 3, 2018
1. Cow Marsh Primitive Baptist Church Marker
Inscription.  Organized on July 18, 1781, the "Baptist Church at Mount Moriah" also called Cow Marsh Baptist Church, is the fourth Primitive Baptist congregation formally constituted in Delaware. For many years members met in area homes. In 1793, Job Meredith conveyed two acres of land to Joseph Flood upon which a church was built the following year. Joseph Flood conveyed the property in 1796 to the trustees of "the Baptist Church at Mount Moriah". Additional land was purchased in 1858 to enlarge the burial ground. The first church served the Willow Grove area until 1872 when the structure was torn down and the present building was erected and opened in 1926. John Meredith, descendent of Job, donated more acreage to the church. Regular services ceased in the 1980s. The Cow Marsh Primitive Baptist Church was added to the National Register on June 24, 1976.
 
Erected 2005 by Delaware Public Archives. (Marker Number KC-95.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion. In addition, it is included in the Delaware Public Archives series list.
 
Location.
Cow Marsh Primitive Baptist Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By Devry Becker Jones, February 3, 2018
2. Cow Marsh Primitive Baptist Church Marker
39° 2.516′ N, 75° 41.657′ W. Marker is in Sandtown, Delaware, in Kent County. Marker is on Willow Grove Road (Delaware Route 10) east of Mt. Olive Cemetery Rd, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 2955 Willow Grove Road, Camden Wyoming DE 19934, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Samuel D. Burris (approx. 3.3 miles away); Thomas' Chapel (approx. 4 miles away); Immigrant Jewish Farms (approx. 5˝ miles away); West Dover Hundred (approx. 5.6 miles away); Sapling from 400 Year Old Oak Tree (approx. 5.6 miles away in Maryland); Mason-Dixon Crownstone (approx. 5.6 miles away); Home of Judge Thomas White (approx. 6.7 miles away); Felton Railroad Station (approx. 6.7 miles away).
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on March 19, 2019. It was originally submitted on February 3, 2018, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia. This page has been viewed 185 times since then and 78 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on February 3, 2018, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement
Nov. 28, 2020