Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Darien in McIntosh County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

“The Thicket”

Sugar Mill - Rum Distillery Ruins
»—→

 
 
“The Thicket” Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Mike Stroud, 2008
1. “The Thicket” Marker
Inscription.  On the banks of Carnochan Creek, a short distance East of here, are the ruins of a famous Sugar Mill and Rum Distillery operated early in the 19th century.

These buildings, constructed of tabby by William Carnochan on his huge sugar plantation at "The Thicket," followed closely plans laid out by Thomas Spalding of Sapelo. The sugar works and rum distillery were operated successfully on a commercial scale until 1824, when a hurricane tore off the roof and upper story of the mill and cane barn, and destroyed other buildings.
 
Erected 1957 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 095-27.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & CommerceLandmarksNotable Buildings. In addition, it is included in the Georgia Historical Society series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1824.
 
Location. 31° 25.87′ N, 81° 23.659′ W. Marker is in Darien, Georgia, in McIntosh County. Marker is at the intersection of Ridge Road (State Highway 99) and Tolomato Causeway (Mission
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
Road) on Ridge Road. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Darien GA 31305, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Sapelo Island (approx. 2.4 miles away); Ardoch (approx. 3.6 miles away); Ashantilly (approx. 3.6 miles away); St. Andrew's Cemetery (approx. 3.8 miles away); Birthplace of John McIntosh Kell (approx. 4.4 miles away); Darien's Railroad and Depot (approx. 4.7 miles away); Columbus Square (approx. 4.7 miles away); The Savannah Lumber Company (approx. 4.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Darien.
 
Also see . . .  NOAA, National Weather Service, Southern Region. Year:1824 Date(s): 14-15 September Principle Affected Area(s): Upper Georgia - major hurricane
Upper Georgia coastal waters - major hurricane
Lower Georgia - major Hurricane
Lower Georgia coastal waters - major hurricane
Northeast Florida - hurricane
Northeast Florida coastal waters - major hurricane
Landfall Point(s): Near Darien and St. Simons Island; The eye moved directly over the town of Darien, Ga. Remarks: Center probably skirted north of Caribbean islands and along the outer Bahamas. Exceeded 1804 storm in flooding and damage. St. Simons Island completely overflowed. 83 persons killed on this island. (not listed in Georgia by Dunn and Miller and is only indicated
"The Thicket" Sugar Mill-Rum Distillery Ruins Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Mike Stroud, September 2008
2. "The Thicket" Sugar Mill-Rum Distillery Ruins Marker
as being “Along the Georgia coast” by Tannehill. Well documented by Ludlum. William Page had 245 acres under cultivation on St. Simons Island and it was reported that this hurricane did extensive damage to his holdings on that island. “...as the sea dashed around them with all...[its] fury...until it had leveled to the earth the hospital, storehouse...cotton and corn-house, with many out buildings, crushing their carriage, carts and wagons, drowning their cattle an[d] other stock and spreading wild confusion...”
Robert Durfee’s Journal and Recollections of Newport, Rhode Island, Freetown,Massachusetts, New York City & Long Island, Jamaica & Cuba, West Indies & Saint SimonsIsland, Georgia ca. 1785-1810. Edited by Virginia Steele Wood, 1990, NOTES, Page 101.

John Couper’s losses were estimated to be between 50 and 60 thousand dollars. Thomas Spaulding of Sapelo island reported, a wall of water six feet high sweeping across the island and losses of 40 to 50 thousand dollars. The lighthouse on the south end of Sapelo was destroyed, with the sea running from 6 to 8 feet inside the structure. The beacons on Wolfs Island were likewise destroyed. The keeper of the Wolf’s Island beacon reports the door “Stove in, the sea breaking from 10 to 12 feet, which destroyed the whole of the oil.” Sullivan, Buddy. Early Days on
"The Thicket" Sugar Mill-Rum Distillery Ruins Marker at Ga 99 and Tolomato Causeway image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Mike Stroud, September 6, 2008
3. "The Thicket" Sugar Mill-Rum Distillery Ruins Marker at Ga 99 and Tolomato Causeway
the Georgia Tidewater: the story of McIntosh County and Sapelo, Page 127.
William Carnochan’s Sugar Mill and rum distillery near Darien (at the Thicket) was destroyed and never rebuilt. “The islands on the coast were all under water. On the mainland at Carnochan’s flat, where Mr. [Richard L.] Morris and Mr. [T.P.] Pease now reside, at the Hudson place, and at Colonel Harrison’s (a continuation of the same flat ground) the tide rose over ten feet above the surface.” Ibid, Page 210.
The eye passed directly over the town of Darien, “The wind was first from the north and east. It blew with the greatest violence between eleven and twelve o’clock at night, after which it suddenly ceased. For half an hour it was nearly calm. Then it shifted to the west, and for some hours it blew more fiercely than ever. Under this change of direction the water fell rapidly, and many captives in trees and homes were permitted to come down and out.” Ibid., Page 156.
The Savannah Georgian, of 25 September 1824, reported, “The storm at Darien, and its neighborhood. Exceed that of 1804, both in violence and destruction.” This is confirmed by reports from the Darien Gazette over the next two weeks. The beaches of Cumberland Island, near the St Johns bar and at St Augustine were covered with wreckage.
Summary: Storm Tide values support
"The Thicket" Sugar Mill-Rum Distillery Ruins image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Mike Stroud, September 6, 2008
4. "The Thicket" Sugar Mill-Rum Distillery Ruins
Ruins Coordinates 31.428993, -81.384594 , Off Sugar Mill Lane
major status and based on the storm’s track from the Bahamas to Darien, will list as a major hurricane for Upper Georgia, Lower Georgia, and all of the coastal waters and as a hurricane along the northeast Florida coast. (Submitted on September 12, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.) 
 
"The Thicket" Sugar Mill-Rum Distillery Tabby Ruins image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Mike Stroud, September 6, 2008
5. "The Thicket" Sugar Mill-Rum Distillery Tabby Ruins
"The Thicket" Sugar Mill-Rum Distillery Ruins image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Mike Stroud, September 6, 2008
6. "The Thicket" Sugar Mill-Rum Distillery Ruins
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on September 12, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 1,897 times since then and 50 times this year. Photos:   1. submitted on April 4, 2011, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.   2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on September 12, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=11382

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 14, 2024