Onyx in Kern County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
Onyx Store - 1880
This store, originally called the Scodie Store, was constructed in 1880 under the supervision of Captain Andress, a local rancher. In 1889, the name Onyx was chosen by Scodie after the Post Office Department declined to use the name Scodie due to its similarity to Scotia (in Humboldt County).
Scodie died in 1898, but the store he founded continues to serve residents and travelers alike.
Erected 1995 by Peter LeBeck Chapter #1866, E Clampus Vitus.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & Commerce • Settlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the E Clampus Vitus series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1827.
Location. 35° 41.243′ N, 118° Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 23523 California 178, Onyx CA 93255, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 3 other markers are within 12 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Kernville (approx. 11.4 miles away); Kernville Veterans Memorial (approx. 11˝ miles away); Bob Powers (approx. 11.7 miles away).
1. Store "Establish" date is wrong
The Onyx Store is still in business today, but they are in error about their "Established in" date. Their signs all say "Established in 1851". Why is that in error? The original owner William Scodie didn't even come to the Kern River Valley until 1856, to this area (now called Onyx) in 1861, then ran the store and a stage stop from his home. This current store is the third building to house Scodie's original store, the previous stores either burned down or were intentionally moved. In 1880, this store was moved a few hundred feet so that it could be located along the new roadway (now called Hwy 178).
— Submitted May 27, 2015, by Alan
Credits. This page was last revised on February 10, 2018. It was originally submitted on January 22, 2012, by Denise Boose of Tehachapi, California. This page has been viewed 1,226 times since then and 181 times this year. Last updated on February 7, 2018, by Douglass Halvorsen of Klamath Falls, Oregon. Photos: 1. submitted on January 22, 2012, by Denise Boose of Tehachapi, California. 2. submitted on December 31, 2013, by Denise Boose of Tehachapi, California. 3, 4. submitted on January 22, 2012, by Denise Boose of Tehachapi, California. 5. submitted on December 31, 2013, by Denise Boose of Tehachapi, California. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.