Duluth in Gwinnett County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Passenger Coach No. 3780
This all-steel passenger coach was built for the Southern Railway System by the Bethlehem Steel Corporation in 1924. It has a seating capacity of 72. Withdrawn from service in 1959 for presentation by the Southern Railway System to this rail transportation museum, it represents the transition from wooden coaches of earlier days to the luxurious streamlined passenger coaches of today.
Atlanta Chapter, National Railway Historical Society - 1960
Erected 1960 by Atlanta Chapter, National Railway Historical Society.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & Commerce • Railroads & Streetcars.
Location. 33° 59.307′ N, 84° 9.325′ W. Marker is in Duluth, Georgia, in Gwinnett County. Marker can be reached from Unnamed road west of Peachtree Road. This marker was probably originally mounted outside next to the the Passenger Coach No. 3780. It is now found in the Main Exhibit Hall at the Southern Railway Museum. It is behind an antique Checker Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 3595 Buford Highway, Duluth GA 30096, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Steam Locomotion at High Tide! (here, next to this marker); Spreader #JX635 (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); The History of the Miniature Train Company (about 300 feet away); Home of Alice Harrell Strickland - Georgia's First Woman Mayor (approx. 1½ miles away); Peachtree Road (approx. 1.7 miles away); State R.R. Survey (approx. 2.7 miles away); "Holy Row" (approx. 4.4 miles away); National Register of Historic Places – City of Norcross (approx. 4½ miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Duluth.
Also see . . . Passenger Coach No. 3780/New Georgia 1104. At some point the passenger coach's designation changed to "New Georgia 1104". It is on display at the Southern Railway Museum as the "New Georgia 1104" and not as the "3780". It is just north of the Main Exhibit Hall. (Submitted on February 8, 2018, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico.)
Credits. This page was last revised on February 8, 2018. It was originally submitted on February 8, 2018, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico. This page has been viewed 97 times since then and 3 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on February 8, 2018, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico.