Columbus in Muscogee County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
The First Breech Loading Cannon
Historic Relic of Civil War
Made by Confederate States Naval Iron Works Columbus, Ga. - 1863
Cannon was made from wheel shaft of river steamer John C. Calhoun. Designed by Capt. Wm. J. McAlister steam boat capt. and civil engr. Machine work by Freeman C. Stewart. Trunnion was broken off by Gen. Wilson's raiders to prevent its further use. The Columbus Iron Works Co. est. 1853 was the C.S. Naval Iron Works during the Civil War.
Topics. This memorial is listed in these topic lists: Industry & Commerce • War, US Civil. A significant historical year for this entry is 1863.
Location. 32° 28.01′ N, 84° 58.418′ W. Marker is in Columbus, Georgia, in Muscogee County. Memorial is on Wynnton Road, on the right when traveling west. The marker and cannon are outside of the Columbus Museum. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1315 Wynnton Rd, Columbus GA 31906, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Columbus Museum (within shouting distance of this marker); Wynnton Community (within shouting distance of this marker); The Bradley Olmsted Garden (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Elms William H. Spencer High School (approx. half a mile away); “Columbus Stockade Blues” (approx. 0.6 miles away); St. James AME Church (approx. 0.7 miles away); Sixth Avenue Passenger Station (approx. 0.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Columbus.
Related marker. Click here for another marker that is related to this marker. A marker at the former Columbus Iron Works that mentions the cannon.
Credits. This page was last revised on February 9, 2018. It was originally submitted on February 9, 2018, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico. This page has been viewed 251 times since then and 74 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on February 9, 2018, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico.