Columbus in Muscogee County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
The Columbus Museum
The Columbus Museum traces its history back to the efforts in the 1920s of several local citizens and civic groups to raise awareness of the need for a museum in the city. Formal efforts at establishing the Museum got underway in 1940, culminating with the opening of the institution in 1953. In 1972, it became among the first museums to be accredited by the American Association of Museums.
Today, it is one of the largest museums in the Southeast and a vital part of the cultural life of Columbus and the Chattahoochee Valley.
The Museum has supported a dual mission focusing on both American art and regional culture since its inception. It has developed outstanding art and historical collections; staged hundreds of special exhibitions; produced numerous publications; and offered a wide variety of educational programs in its effort to enrich the lives of all. The Museum has been involved with numerous archaeological and public history projects throughout the region and has served as a key partner in many community-development initiatives.
Throughout its existence, the Museum has served as a gathering spot for
Originally housed in the former home of businessman W.C. Bradley, the Museum has undergone several expansions over the years. The most recent, which brought the total interior floor space to almost 90,000 square feet, was designed to complement the historic home’s Mediterranean Revival architecture.
Euphan Collier Stewart helped stage some of the earliest major art exhibitions in Columbus and was a driving force in creating initial interest for a museum in the 1920s. Her sister Georgia Collier Comer left a bequest in her memory that played a critical role in funding the Museum.
Columbus native and accomplished artist Edward Swift Shorter headed organized efforts to create a museum for over a decade. Recognized as the inspiration behind the creation of the Museum, he served as its first director and maintained a close connection to the institution after his retirement.
The Columbus Museum, ca. 1970
Euphan Collier Stewart
Edward Swift Shorter
Grand opening of new Museum wing, 1963
Opening of Museum's Indian Gallery, 1957
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Architecture • Arts, Letters, Music • Charity & Public Work • Man-Made Features.
Location. 32° 28.003′ N, 84° 58.432′ W. Marker is in Columbus, Georgia, in Muscogee County. Marker is on Wynnton Road west of Blandford Avenue, on the left when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1251 Wynnton Road, Columbus GA 31906, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Wynnton Community (here, next to this marker); The First Breech Loading Cannon (within shouting distance of this marker); The Elms (approx. half a mile away); William H. Spencer High School (approx. half a mile away); “Columbus Stockade Blues” (approx. 0.6 miles away); St. James AME Church (approx. 0.6 miles away); Holsey Chapel Christian Methodist Episcopal Church (approx. 0.6 miles away); Sixth Avenue Passenger Station (approx. 0.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Columbus.
Credits. This page was last revised on February 9, 2018. It was originally submitted on February 9, 2018, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico. This page has been viewed 105 times since then and 18 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on February 9, 2018, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico.