Columbus in Muscogee County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
The area of central Columbus known as Wynnton was actually one of the city’s first suburbs.
Located just two miles east of downtown, the community sprang up after several country estates were built by wealthy citizens in the area along the route of what is now Wynnton Road. These included some grand homes that remain Columbus landmarks today: The Woolfolk House (1832), The Elms (1834), The Cedars (1836), The Wynn House (ca. 1834), and Dinglewood (1859). Starting around 1900, these estates were divided into the single-family residential lots that give the community its look today.
Around 1860, nearly 1,500 people called Wynnton Village home, ranking it among the 20 largest towns in Georgia at that time. After a streetcar line from downtown reached Wynnton in the 1880s, development rapidly increased. Particularly influential in this building boom were real estate investors John F. Flournoy and Louis F. Garrard, who sold many of the lots on which fashionable homes were constructed in the area between about 1890 and 1940. While few current Wynnton businesses date to this period, most are located on the sites of former residential
2025 Thirteenth Street
1487 Harmony Drive
The Wynnton area contains several historic districts featuring homes ranging from antebellum Greek Revival mansions to 20th-century Craftsman, Tudor Revival and Spanish Revival-style homes.
From Architectural Styles of Our Town: Columbus, Georgia by Marilyn Laufer and Garry Pound
Wynnton School, established in 1843, contains the oldest building in continuous use as a school in the state of Georgia. The original school building now serves as the library for the Wynnton Arts Academy.
Courtesy of the Historic Columbus Foundation
Gift of Mrs. J.E. Chapman 1964.396.1
Downtown Columbus streetcar line transfer station, ca. 1905
Museum purchase made possible by the Evelyn S. and H. Wayne Patterson Fund 2006.44
Map from the 1925 city plan of Columbus showing the route of the trolley line through Wynnton
Gift of Jerry Mulenix 2010.15.1
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Architecture • Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1900.
Location. 32° 28.002′ N, 84° 58.437′ W. Marker is in Columbus, Georgia, in Muscogee County. Marker is on Wynnton Road west of Blandford Avenue, on the left when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1251 Wynnton Rd, Columbus GA 31906, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Columbus Museum (here, next to this marker); The First Breech Loading Cannon (within shouting distance of this marker); The Bradley Olmsted Garden (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Elms (approx. half a mile away); William H. Spencer High School (approx. half a mile away); “Columbus Stockade Blues” (approx. 0.6 miles away); St. James AME Church (approx. 0.6 miles away); Holsey Chapel Christian Methodist Episcopal Church (approx. 0.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Columbus.
Credits. This page was last revised on August 23, 2020. It was originally submitted on February 9, 2018, by J. Makali Bruton of Accra, Ghana. This page has been viewed 307 times since then and 60 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on February 9, 2018, by J. Makali Bruton of Accra, Ghana.