Hood River in Hood River County, Oregon — The American West (Northwest)
A School with Roots
Growing Pride in the Community
High in the tower, the school bell rang, resonating across the grounds. Sixteen school kids grabbed their lunch pails and headed with their teacher, Miss Graham, into the 1893 Crapper School. As the community grew, the students outnumbered Crapper School's capacity. The school was torn down in 1910 to make room for the Oak Grove School where the bell was moved. For 58 years, the bell continued to call students to their studies at the Oak Grove School.
Oak Grove School closed in 1968 and a year later, Hood River County assumed ownership of the grounds. Oak Grove Park opened in 1974 – kids continue to play on these ground's, as they did back in 1893.
The schoolhouse, now a private residence, was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1979.
In 1893, Dorsey Crapper donated the land for the original school. For many years, the school and district were named after him, and his children and grandchildren were all taught there. The Crapper family has remained connected with both schools throughout their histories.
Erected by Hood River Lions Foundation Trust.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Education.
Location. 45° 42.68′ N, 121° 30.401′ W. Marker is in Hood Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 300 East Port Marina Drive, Hood River OR 97031, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Henderson (within shouting distance of this marker); Hood River (approx. ¼ mile away); OWR & N Company Railroad Depot (approx. ¼ mile away); The Mount Hood Hotel Annex (approx. 0.3 miles away); The Blowers Building (approx. 0.3 miles away); Sproat Building (approx. 0.3 miles away); Hood River Garage (approx. 0.3 miles away); Hotel Waucoma (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Hood River.
Credits. This page was last revised on February 11, 2018. It was originally submitted on February 10, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 103 times since then and 7 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on February 10, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.