Georgetown in Washington, District of Columbia — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
St. John's Episcopal Church, Georgetown Parish
This Federal-style building, based on a design by William Thornton, architect of the Capitol, was opened in 1804 and consecrated in 1809. The foundations, walls, roof and bell tower are original.
Founded as a Christian community for the worship of God, the dissemination of the Gospel, and the furnishing of spiritual and material help to those in need, St. John's remains dedicated to these purposes.
Erected by St. John's Episcopal Church.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Architecture • Churches & Religion.
Location. 38° 54.462′ N, 77° 3.909′ Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 3240 O Street Northwest, Washington DC 20007, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Colonel Ninian Beall (a few steps from this marker); St. John's: 200 Years of History (a few steps from this marker); The Last Home of Stephen Bloomer Balch, D.D. (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); President John F. Kennedy (about 500 feet away); A Drugstore Like No Other (about 500 feet away); Let the Good Times Roll (about 700 feet away); Georgetown's Watering Holes (about 700 feet away); Dumbarton United Methodist Church (about 700 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Georgetown.
Credits. This page was last revised on March 22, 2019. It was originally submitted on November 13, 2017, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia. This page has been viewed 142 times since then and 21 times this year. Last updated on February 10, 2018, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on November 13, 2017, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.