Five generations of one family lived in the Pioneer Cabin until 1960. The cabin was built in the early to mid-1800s in Washington Parish at Sunny Hill near Franklinton. This part of Louisiana was part of the Florida parishes and became part of the United States in 1810.
Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 4560 Essen Lane, Baton Rouge LA 70808, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Since the plantation owners already occupied the rich, fertile lands along the rivers, these yeoman farmers settled in less fertile piney woods and hills across the South. This single-pen cabin was built of heartwood pine lumber and natural materials on hand. The cabin was disassembled and moved to the museum in 1872.
Caption: Curator Michael Jones standing in front of the Pioneer Cabin in the 1970s.
Erected by LSU Rural Life Museum. (Marker Number 29.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Settlements & Settlers.
Location. 30° 24.675′ N, 91° 6.896′ W. Marker is in Baton Rouge, Louisiana, in East Baton Rouge Parish. Marker is on Essen Lane (Highway 3064) south of Interstate 10, on
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Dog-Trot House (a few steps from this marker); Oak Ridge, Louisiana Jail (within shouting distance of this marker); Ship's Bell... (within shouting distance of this marker); Stoker Barn (within shouting distance of this marker); Cemetery (within shouting distance of this marker); Stoner-Athens House (within shouting distance of this marker); Cane Grinder (within shouting distance of this marker); Single-Pen Slave Cabin (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Baton Rouge.
More about this marker. Located on the grounds of the LSU Rural Life Museum.
Also see . . . LSU Rural Life Museum. (Submitted on February 14, 2018.)
Credits. This page was last revised on February 15, 2018. It was originally submitted on February 14, 2018, by Cajun Scrambler of Assumption, Louisiana. This page has been viewed 99 times since then and 11 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on February 14, 2018.