Opelousas in St. Landry Parish, Louisiana — The American South (West South Central)
Louisiana Memorial United Methodist Church
The Cradle of Louisiana Methodism
In 1805, Elisha W. Bowman was sent as a Missionary to Louisiana by Bishops Whatcoat and Asbury, reaching Appelousas territory in late 1805. He organized a Methodist Society in Opelousas early in 1806, which was as near as can be ascertained, the first in Louisiana. In August 1806, Learner Blackman visited Bowman and they administered the Sacrament of the Lord's Supper. On January 6, 1847, the Louisiana Annual Conference met and organized in the Opelousas Methodist Church.
Erected 1994 by Given as Memorials and Honorariums.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion.
Location. 30° 32.018′ N, 92° 4.698′ W. Marker is in Opelousas, Louisiana, in St. Landry Parish. Marker is at the intersection of East Bellevue Street and Lombard Street, on the right when traveling west on East Bellevue Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 515 East Bellevue Street, Opelousas LA 70570, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Louisiana Memorial Methodist Church (a few steps from this marker); Bloch Corner (approx. City Hall (approx. 0.2 miles away); King's Corner (approx. ¼ mile away); Emar Andrepont Store (approx. ¼ mile away); Louisiana Orphan Train Museum (approx. ¼ mile away); Union Pacific Freight Depot (approx. ¼ mile away); Saint Landry Parish Mural (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Opelousas.
Credits. This page was last revised on October 29, 2020. It was originally submitted on February 17, 2018, by Cajun Scrambler of Assumption, Louisiana. This page has been viewed 186 times since then and 35 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on February 17, 2018.