Georgetown in Williamson County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
First United Methodist Church of Georgetown
Founded in 1849 as Georgetown Mission, organized 1874 but still served then by circuit riders. This church acquired a resident pastor in 1879. Original building was erected in 1881-82 on the Southwestern University campus. The present church structure was built in 1891-93, of native limestone, hand-cut at this site. Physics professor Robert S. Hyer was the supervising architect. The floor plan is modeled after the Greek cross. Bishops A. Frank Smith (1889–1962) and W. Angie Smith (1894–1974), brothers, made decision to enter the ministry in this church.
Recorded Texas Historic Landmark—1974
Erected 1974 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 9090.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion. A significant historical year for this entry is 1849.
Location. 30° 37.997′ N, 97° 40.404′ W. Marker is in Georgetown, Texas, in Williamson County. Marker is on E University Avenue. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 410 E University Ave, Georgetown TX 78626, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this Negro Fine Arts School (a few steps from this marker); George Irvine House (within shouting distance of this marker); Original Site of Southwestern University (within shouting distance of this marker); Hammerlun Center for Leadership & Learning (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Georgetown High School Building (about 400 feet away); W.Y. Penn Home (about 400 feet away); C.C. and Mattie Hughes Cody House (about 400 feet away); St. John’s United Methodist Church (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Georgetown.
Also see . . . First United Methodist Church of Georgetown - Williamson County Historical Commission. (Submitted on February 18, 2018, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas.)
Credits. This page was last revised on November 29, 2020. It was originally submitted on November 14, 2007, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. This page has been viewed 1,177 times since then and 15 times this year. Last updated on February 18, 2018, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on November 14, 2007, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.