New Orleans in Orleans Parish, Louisiana — The American South (West South Central)
St. Charles Avenue Presbyterian Church
W.W Van Meter, Architect and Builder.
A gift to the congregation from
Alice Affleck Bloomfield
in memory of her husband
William B. Bloomfield
John Samuel Land, Pastor, 1917-1959
Stained glass windows by Oidtmann Studios, Linnich, Germany interior decorations designed and installed by John Geiser.
Sunday school building erected 1923-1925
W.W. Van Meter, Architect.
Education building erected 1949-1950
Favrot and Reed, Architects Earl L. Mathes, Associate
The congregation began in 1905 under the auspices of the First Presbyterian Church of which it became a branch about 1914.
Organized December 19, 1920 as the St. Charles Avenue Presbyterian Church.
Erected 1990 by Orleans Parish Landmarks Commission.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Architecture • Churches & Religion.
Location. 29° 55.848′ N, 90° 7.077′ W. Marker is in New Orleans, Louisiana, in Orleans Parish. Marker is at the intersection Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1545 State Street, New Orleans LA 70118, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Gilbert Academy and New Orleans University (approx. 0.4 miles away); DeDroit Residence (approx. 0.7 miles away); Jefferson City (approx. 0.7 miles away); Classic Designs (approx. 0.7 miles away); Audubon Park History (approx. 0.7 miles away); Newcomb Pottery Garden (approx. ¾ mile away); H. Sophie Newcomb Memorial College (approx. 0.8 miles away); National Shrine of Our Lady of Prompt Succor (approx. 0.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in New Orleans.
Credits. This page was last revised on February 19, 2018. It was originally submitted on February 19, 2018, by Cajun Scrambler of Assumption, Louisiana. This page has been viewed 203 times since then and 20 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on February 19, 2018.