Millen in Jenkins County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Welcome to Magnolia Springs – The Civil War’s Camp Lawton
In 1864, the Confederate States of America built a prisoner of war camp here. Named Camp Lawton, the stockade, designed to hold 40,000 prisoners, enclosed 42 acres. The first prisoners arrived from Andersonville in late September of 1864. Due to the rapid approach of Sherman's forces on his infamous March to the Sea, Camp Lawton was abandoned in late November. However, during those few weeks more than 500 of the approximately 10,000 prisoners succumbed to disease and starvation.
Unlike Andersonville, Camp Lawton's water supply was plentiful and clean as Magnolia Springs flowed through the center of the camp. The stream entered the stockade through the center of the north wall and exited just east of center on the south wall. Approximately midway, the stream was dammed and forced through hewed timber troughs called "sinks" (toilets). Above the sinks, the water could be used for drinking and bathing. Below the sinks, it was only suitable for sanitary purposes.
One historical document states that the stockade was 1,398 feet on the north and south sides and 1,329 feet on the east and west sides. A box 30 feet square
Erected by Georgia State Parks & Historic Sites.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Forts and Castles • War, US Civil. A significant historical year for this entry is 1864.
Location. 32° 52.534′ N, 81° 57.489′ W. Marker is in Millen, Georgia, in Jenkins County. Marker can be reached from Magnolia Springs Road 0.4 miles east of U.S. 25, on the left when traveling east. Marker is located in Magnolia Springs State Park, on the north side of the main parking lot, in front of the Visitor Center. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1053 Magnolia Springs Road, Millen GA 30442, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Camp Lawton (within shouting distance of this marker); The Civil War's Camp Lawton (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Old Buckhead Church (approx. 2˝ miles away); Cavalry Action at Buckhead Church (approx. 4.2 Big Buckhead Church (approx. 4.2 miles away); Battle of Buck Head Creek (approx. 4.2 miles away); Sherman at Millen (approx. 5 miles away); Jenkins County Confederate Memorial (approx. 5.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Millen.
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker. Civil War Camp Lawton
Also see . . .
1. Camp Lawton Prisoner of War Camp. Camp Lawton, a huge prisoner of war camp occupying 40 acres and designed to hold 40,000 men, was built in September, 1864 to relieve congestion at Camp Sumter at Andersonville and to remove the possibility of Gen. W.T. Sherman's army freeing prisoners there. Built by a force of 300 prisoners and 500 slaves, the camp was a log stockade, with guard towers on the walls, and a ditch dug within the walls for a deadline. (Submitted on February 23, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
2. Magnolia Springs State Park. During the Civil War, this site was called Camp Lawton and served as “the world’s largest prison.” Today, little remains of the prison stockade; however, the earthen breastworks which guarded it may (Submitted on March 12, 2019, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Credits. This page was last revised on March 13, 2019. It was originally submitted on February 23, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 193 times since then and 23 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on February 23, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.