Bedford in Bedford County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
First known as Raystown and built during the summer of 1758 by the forces of Col. Henry Bouquet, the fort was the rendezvous from which the expedition of Gen. Forbes advanced to occupy Fort Duquesne (Pittsburgh). Museum stands on the original site.
Erected by Pennsylvania Historical and Museum Commission.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Forts and Castles. In addition, it is included in the Pennsylvania Historical and Museum Commission series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1758.
Location. 40° 1.192′ N, 78° 30.244′ W. Marker is in Bedford, Pennsylvania, in Bedford County. Marker is at the intersection of Fort Bedford Drive and Juliana Street, on the right when traveling south on Fort Bedford Drive. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Bedford PA 15522, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Grist Millstone (a few steps from this marker); Forbes Road (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); This Tablet Marks The Site of Fort Bedford (about 400 feet away); "King's House" Espy House (about 400 feet away); George Washington (about 400 feet away); Anderson House (about 500 feet away); Fraser Tavern (about 700 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Bedford.
Also see . . . Visiting the Fort Bedford Museum in Bedford, PA. Uncovering PA website entry (Submitted on February 4, 2022, by Larry Gertner of New York, New York.)
Credits. This page was last revised on February 4, 2022. It was originally submitted on February 23, 2018, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 249 times since then and 70 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on February 23, 2018, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.