Millen in Jenkins County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
A Confederate Military Prison
built in 1864 to relieve the
overcrowded condition at
Andersonville Prison in Macon
County. Lawton Prison was a
stockade, enclosing 42 acres.
1398 feet by 1329 feet considered
to be the largest in the world.
It was occupied October 10, 1864
but was abandoned the following
November 17 with the approach
of Sherman's army.
Erected by State of Georgia Department of Natural Resources • Division of State Parks Historic Sites & Monuments.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: War, US Civil. In addition, it is included in the Sherman’s March to the Sea series list. A significant historical date for this entry is October 10, 1865.
Location. 32° 52.522′ N, 81° 57.498′ W. Marker is in Millen, Georgia, in Jenkins County. Marker can be reached from Magnolia Springs Drive. Magnolia Springs State Park off US 25, Ga 21/121. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1053 Magnolia Springs Drive, Millen GA 30442, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured Welcome to Magnolia Springs – The Civil War’s Camp Lawton (within shouting distance of this marker); The Civil War's Camp Lawton (within shouting distance of this marker); Old Buckhead Church (approx. 2˝ miles away); Cavalry Action at Buckhead Church (approx. 4.2 miles away); Big Buckhead Church (approx. 4.2 miles away); Battle of Buck Head Creek (approx. 4.2 miles away); Sherman at Millen (approx. 5 miles away); Jenkins County Confederate Memorial (approx. 5.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Millen.
Regarding Camp Lawton. Camp Lawton was located about five miles from Millen, Georgia, and on the Augusta Railroad. The prison was laid out in the customary style of Confederate prisons with sloping hills at each end and a small stream flowing between the hills. The walls were 15 feet high and sufficient wood was left inside the walls so that the prisoners could construct crude huts. Rations were somewhat better than Andersonville but were still not sufficient to sustain life.
The prison was open for two months. The Lawton cemetery held 784 bodies. These bodies were moved to Beaufort National Cemetery in South Carolina in February 1868. Where Camp Lawton stood in 1868 there is now a state park, Magnolia Springs.
Related markers. list of markers that are related to this marker. Civil War Camp Lawton
Also see . . . Camp Lawton. was a major Civil War prison burned during Sherman's March to the Sea. (Submitted on January 21, 2013, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.)
1. Great Grand Father Sam was at Camp Lawton
My great grand father, Samuel George Fletcher, a private in the 5th N Y Heavy Artillery and was wounded and captured during the Battle of Piedmont, VA on June 5, 1864. He was moved to Andersonville Prison some time after that and was recorded to have been transferred to Camp Lawton on November 11, 1864. He was exchanged back to the Union at Florence, SC on December 10, 1864 and rejoined the Union at Camp Parole, MD on December 15,1864 at the age of 17 years and two months. Happily for me, he survived and lived until 1920 in Brooklyn, NY after marrying three times and fathering six children.
— Submitted March 22, 2009, by Samuel George Fletcher of Williamsburg, Virginia.
Credits. This page was last revised on October 13, 2020. It was originally submitted on March 2, 2009, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 3,812 times since then and 153 times this year. Last updated on February 23, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11. submitted on March 2, 2009, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.