Brookeville in Montgomery County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
The Brookville Schoolhouse sits upon land purchased for $300 in 1865, four years after the Maryland General Assembly established the Montgomery County public school system. At some subsequent point, the school began operation as a traditional one-room schoolhouse, a large room with two sizable windows on each side and an entry vestibule. An out-house originally was located next to the structure. This "public" school, which barred African Americans from attendance, was in continuous use until the 1920s when a new larger school was built. One of the school's early teachers was William H. Briggs, the son of Isaac Briggs, a famous land surveyor and prominent Brookeville resident.
The building was sold in 1926 and converted to a residence. It was eventually abandoned and began a long period of deterioration. The Brookeville Town Commissioners, concerned with the building's neglect and desiring to see it preserved and restored, initiated discussions with its new owner Dr. Howell J. Howard, Jr. and his attorney. Staff from the Maryland- National Capital Parks and Planning Commission assisted in these discussions. Dr. Howard decided to donate
In accordance with Dr. Howard's wishes and those of his heirs, the donation of the schoolhouse to the Town and its restoration is to honor the memory of his parents, Howell J. Howard Sr. and Consuelo Jones Howard and the entire Howard family's dedication to the improvement, education, and well being of African American children in Montgomery County and Washington D. C.
This historic preservation and restoration project has been made possible by the Town of Brookeville with the assistance of the State of Maryland's Department of Natural Resources and Program Open Space, the Montgomery County Historic Preservation Commission's grants program, and private donations. Many volunteers have also contributed their time, talents and labor to the project.
Brookville Town Commissioners 2005 Richard S. Allan President Michael J. Acierno Robert K. Heritage Susan J. Johnson Clerk Treasurer Miche Booz Architect
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Education. A significant historical year for this entry is 1865.
Location. Marker has been reported permanently removed. It was located near 39° Touch for map. Marker was at or near this postal address: 10 North Street, Brookeville MD 20833, United States of America.
We have been informed that this sign or monument is no longer there and will not be replaced. This page is an archival view of what was.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this location. Gassaway House (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Briggs House (about 600 feet away); Thomas House Site (about 600 feet away); Margaret Brooke House (about 600 feet away); In This House (about 600 feet away); Madison House (about 600 feet away); The Moore Cottage (about 700 feet away); Bentley House (about 700 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Brookeville.
Also see . . .
1. Brookeville Schoolhouse. Town of Brookville website entry (Submitted on April 5, 2014, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland.)
2. Brookeville does its history homework. by Terri Hogan, The Gazette, May 5, 2004, (Miche Booz). (Submitted on April 5, 2014, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland.)
Credits. This page was last revised on March 15, 2022. It was originally submitted on April 5, 2014, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. This page has been viewed 508 times since then and 5 times this year. Last updated on February 25, 2018, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on April 5, 2014, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. 3. submitted on February 25, 2018, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia. 4, 5, 6, 7, 8. submitted on April 5, 2014, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.