Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Scarboro in Jenkins County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Scarboro

 
 
Scarboro Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By David Seibert, August 18, 2005
1. Scarboro Marker
Inscription.  This is one of the older settlements in this part of Georgia having been established sometime prior to 1840 and receiving its name from Enoch or Hardy Scarborouogh of Screven County. In 1839 it became Station No. 7 on the Central Rail Road and served this one of the very oldest rail roads in the United States as a refueling station for over 30 years.

During the War Between the States, Gen. Sherman’s army (US) camped alongside the railroad here on the night of Dec. 3, 1864. The Scarboro Baptist Church was organized in 1854.

About ½ mile east of here stands the old Woods' house constructed in part about ten years before the War Between the States.
 
Erected 1953 by Georgia Historical Commission and the Town of Scarboro. (Marker Number 082-5.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & ReligionRailroads & StreetcarsSettlements & SettlersWar, US Civil. In addition, it is included in the Georgia Historical Society, and the Sherman’s March to the Sea series lists. A significant historical date for this entry is December 3, 1862.
 
Location.
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
32° 42.833′ N, 81° 52.6′ W. Marker is in Scarboro, Georgia, in Jenkins County. Marker is at the intersection of Georgia Route 17 and Scarboro Church Road, on the right when traveling east on State Route 17. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Millen GA 30442, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. First County Seat (approx. 4.3 miles away); Old Savannah Road (approx. 6.7 miles away); Millen Flagpole (approx. 7.1 miles away); Millen Fountain (approx. 7.1 miles away); Wayside Home (approx. 7.1 miles away); Millen Junction (approx. 7.1 miles away); Millen (approx. 7.2 miles away); Jenkins Court House (approx. 7.2 miles away).
 
More about this marker. The marker was originally mounted on a monopole, and was removed by the Department of Natural Resources, probably in the late 1990s or early 2000s. Residents of the very small town recovered the marker and mounted it hanging on chains in an iron pipe frame in front of the (restored) Scarboro Baptist Church.
 
Scarboro Marker as now mounted. image. Click for full size.
Photographed By David Seibert, August 18, 2005
2. Scarboro Marker as now mounted.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on January 31, 2020. It was originally submitted on September 14, 2008, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 2,098 times since then and 33 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on September 14, 2008, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=11450

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 21, 2024