Upper Sandusky in Wyandot County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Fort Ferree - Overland Inn - Indian Spring
built by Gen. Harrison's Army, 1812.
1814 until 1846, on site Elks Lodge.
used by Indians 1730 to 1843.
Erected 1956 by Wyandot County Historical Society and B.P.O.E. No. 83.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Forts and Castles • Military • War of 1812. In addition, it is included in the Former U.S. Presidents: #09 William Henry Harrison series list. A significant historical date for this entry is June 4, 1745.
Location. 40° 49.655′ N, 83° 16.659′ W. Marker is in Upper Sandusky, Ohio, in Wyandot County. Marker is on E. Wyandot Avenue (U.S. 30) close to 4th Street, on the left when traveling east. This historical marker is located directly in front of the local Elk Lodge (B.P.O.E. No. 83). Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 340 E Wyandot Ave, Upper Sandusky OH 43351, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this Tschanen Elm (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); The William Walker Jr. House (about 500 feet away); Wyandot Indian Council House (about 700 feet away); Wyandot County War of 1812 Veterans Memorial Flagpole (approx. 0.2 miles away); Wyandot County Veterans Memorial (approx. 0.2 miles away); Col. William Crawford (approx. 0.2 miles away); 1000 feet east - site of Fort Ferree (approx. 0.2 miles away); Wyandot County Courthouse & The Shawshank Redemption (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Upper Sandusky.
More about this marker. This marker was missing for some time, but it has been reported refurbished and reinstalled. We are awaiting fresh photographs.
There is an additional historical marker regarding Fort Ferree located approximately 1,000 feet to the west, in front of the Wyandot County Courthouse. It is also noteworthy that this marker is located along what was once the old Lincoln Highway.
Regarding Fort Ferree - Overland Inn - Indian Spring. With regards to this marker's subject material that is related to the topic of the War of 1812: As part of his preparations to recapture Detroit and invade Canada, General William Henry Harrison built a chain of forts northward, along both the Sandusky River Valley and the Sandusky-Scioto Trail, from what is now Upper Sandusky, Ohio (Fort Ferree), to what is now Tiffin, Ohio (Fort Ball), to what is now Old Fort, Ohio (Fort Seneca), all the way to what is now Fremont, Ohio (Fort Stephenson). These forts were intended to protect the American lines of supply and communication as General Harrison attempted to both position and build up his forces while he was seeking the opportunity for an invasion
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker. To better understand the relationship, study each marker in the order shown.
Credits. This page was last revised on July 19, 2019. It was originally submitted on April 19, 2009, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. This page has been viewed 1,554 times since then and 69 times this year. Last updated on March 2, 2018, by Michael Baker of Lima, Ohio. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on April 19, 2009, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. 5, 6, 7. submitted on April 17, 2016, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. 8. submitted on June 28, 2019, by Richard Lawson of Roundhead, Ohio. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.