In 1884, due to overcrowding at the county jail, a grassy field on Pine Street was chosen to house a new Bucks County prison. Groundbreaking took place on April 21, 1884. Stone work from the former jail, located on Main and Court Street in Doylestown, was dismantled and used for the new construction. Plans drawn by architect Addison Hutton of Philadelphia called for an expanded prison facility that included a three-story warden's house using the popular late 19th-century Gothic style. Directly behind the warden's house was the guard house which was used as a control center for transferring prisoners into the jail. This building was connected to 58 cells; each one-person cell was eighteen feet long, eight feet wide and twelve feet high. The overall design concept was modeled after the Eastern State Penitentiary in Philadelphia.
Erected by the James A. Michener Art Museum.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Notable Buildings.
Location. 40° 18.497′ N, 75° 7.594′ W. Marker
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Museum (here, next to this marker); The Expansion (here, next to this marker); Corporate Business Partner Entrance Courtyard and W.B.U.X. Sculpture Garden (here, next to this marker); Bucks County Jail (within shouting distance of this marker); The Mercer Museum (within shouting distance of this marker); Last Hanging (within shouting distance of this marker); Thinking Green (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Doylestown Agricultural Works (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Doylestown.
Credits. This page was last revised on March 4, 2018. It was originally submitted on March 4, 2018, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 169 times since then and 42 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on March 4, 2018, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.