Freeport in Nassau County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Village Hall - 1928
Also known as the Municipal
Building. It was built to
Hall in Philadelphia.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Architecture. A significant historical year for this entry is 1928.
Location. 40° 39.524′ N, 73° 35.235′ W. Marker is in Freeport, New York, in Nassau County. Marker is on North Ocean Avenue north of Brooklyn Avenue, on the right when traveling north. Marker is located directly in front of the subject building, near the sidewalk at the northeast corner of the building. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 46 North Ocean Avenue, Freeport NY 11520, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Exempt Firehouse (approx. ¼ mile away); The First Public School in Freeport (approx. ¼ mile away); Trubia Rifle (approx. ¼ mile away); Kelby House (approx. ¼ mile away); Freeport Methodist Episcopal Church (approx. ¼ mile away); Freeport Bank (approx. 0.3 miles away); Miracle House 1906 (approx. 0.3 miles away); Water and Power (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Freeport.
Regarding Village Hall - 1928.
Also see . . . Freeport 19th Century Development.
In 1853, residents voted to rename the village Freeport, adopting a variant of a nickname used by ship captains during colonial times because they were not charged customs duties to land their cargo. After the Civil War, Freeport became a center for commercial oystering. This trade began to decline as early as the beginning of the 20th century because of changing salinity and increased pollution in Great South Bay. From 1868, Freeport was served by the Southside Railroad, which was a major boon to development. The village residents voted to incorporate the village on October 18, 1892. (Submitted on March 7, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Credits. This page was last revised on March 9, 2018. It was originally submitted on March 7, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 291 times since then and 12 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on March 7, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.