East Islip in Suffolk County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Great River Depot
1867-76 Southside RR, LIRR
acquired 1880. 1897 Depot
built, burned 1943. 1999 EIHS
moved shelter to south side.
Platform added 2000.
Hist. Landmark Preservation cte.
Erected by Historical Landmark Preservation Committee.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Railroads & Streetcars.
Location. 40° 44.427′ N, 73° 10.134′ W. Marker is in East Islip, New York, in Suffolk County. Marker is at the intersection of Connetquot Avenue and Hawthorne Avenue, on the right when traveling south on Connetquot Avenue. Marker is located at the northeast corner of the intersection. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: East Islip NY 11730, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Country Home (approx. half a mile away); Sickle Bar Mower (approx. half a mile away); Manure Spreader (approx. half a mile away); Hay Rake (approx. half a mile away); Oliver Farm Plow Spike Tooth Harrow (approx. half a mile away); Neighbor Across the Way (approx. 0.7 miles away); Locust Bridge (approx. 0.7 miles away).
Also see . . .
1. The Long Island Rail Road: A Comprehensive History, South Side R.R. of L.I.
Islip first appears on the timetable of May 20, 1868 as a terminal. Between December 1, 1868 and June 1869 a second station was maintained at Islip Centre. On August 19, 1869 the railroad loaded the little 20 x 30 feet depot on a flat car drawn by the engine Pewit and carted it eastward, leaving Islip the sole station in the village. (Submitted on March 7, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
2. South Side Railroad of Long Island.
The South Side Railroad of Long Island was a railroad company in the U.S. state of New York. Chartered in 1860 and first opened in 1867 as a competitor to the Long Island Rail Road, it was reorganized in 1874 as the Southern Railroad of Long Island and leased in 1876 to the LIRR. (Submitted on March 7, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Credits. This page was last revised on March 9, 2018. It was originally submitted on March 7, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 126 times since then and 25 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on March 7, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.