Port Jefferson in Suffolk County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
The Bayles Chandlery on the Bayles Shipyard provided provisions and supplies for coastal schooners and merchant vessels during the era of wooden ships. Its large upstairs room served as the informal community center in early Port Jefferson.
The Chandlery and shipyard went out of local ownership when James E. Bayles sold the property to Bayles Shipyard, Inc. in 1917. Using "Bayles" in its title because of the goodwill associated with the name, the new firm received government contracts from the Emergency Fleet Corporation to construct steel freighters and ocean going tugs for our nation's merchant marine.
After the war, the structure had a succession of owners and uses. It was part of the 5.1-acre property owned by Mobil Oil when the Incorporated Village of Port Jefferson purchased the site in 1997.
Historic Marker Research and Design by Mildred L. Michos and Kenneth C. Brady. 2008.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & CommerceWaterways & Vessels.
Location. 40° 56.887′ N, 73° 4.051′ W. Marker is in Port Jefferson, New York, in Suffolk County. Marker is at the intersection of East Broadway and East Main Street, on the right when traveling west on East Broadway. Marker is located near the sidewalk in front of the subject building, between East Main Street and Pass Way. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 101 East Broadway, Port Jefferson NY 11777, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. "Bucket of Blood" (within shouting distance of this marker); The Anchor of Our Community (within shouting distance of this marker); Delivered Afloat in the Harbor (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Well-Worn Ways (about 500 feet away); First Baptist Church of Port Jefferson (approx. 0.2 miles away); Culper Spy Ring (approx. 0.3 miles away); Roe Tavern (approx. 1.6 miles away); Setauket School (approx. 1.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Port Jefferson.
Regarding Bayles Chandlery. The Bayles Chandlery building currently houses The "Maritime Explorium," a museum exploring Long Island's rich and varied maritime heritage. In the past, the Sons of Temperance met on the second floor on this building to encourage prohibition.
Also see . . . Bayles Shipyard.
Bayles Shipyard is a historic shipyard located at Port Jefferson in Suffolk County, New York. It includes the 1897 Bayles Chandlery, the 1917 Machine Shop and Mould Loft and the 1917 Compressor House. The vicinity also contained a Mobil Oil Terminal. It was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 2000. (Submitted on March 8, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Credits. This page was last revised on March 9, 2018. It was originally submitted on March 8, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 230 times since then and 24 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on March 8, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.