Annapolis in Anne Arundel County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Beyond the Bridge
— The Neighborhood of Eastport —
A New Village across Spa Creek
The maritime industry and the history of Annapolis are closely intertwined. This connection extends beyond downtown to historic Eastport, the neighborhood located across the Spa Creek Bridge. Eastport was developed after the Civil War as Horn Point and renamed Eastport in 1888; it was not annexed as part of Annapolis until 1951. Today, Eastport is known for its working boatyards, restaurant row, and the Annapolis Maritime Museum, located at the end of Second Street on Back Creek.
The Second Eastport Bridge
The Eastport Bridge Today
The current span opened in 1947.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Bridges & Viaducts • Industry & Commerce • Waterways & Vessels.
Location. 38° 58.629′ N, 76° 29.158′ W. Marker is in Annapolis, Maryland, in Anne Arundel County. Marker is at the intersection of Dock Street and Craig Street on Dock Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 6 Dock Street, Annapolis MD 21401, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 Annapolis Depicted (within shouting distance of this marker); Sy Mohr's City Dock Harbormaster Collage (within shouting distance of this marker); Leonard A. Blackshear Walk (within shouting distance of this marker); Commodore John Barry (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Watermen and Working Harbor (about 300 feet away); Annapolis: Capital of Commerce (about 400 feet away); Kunte Kinte-Alex Haley Memorial (about 400 feet away); Maritime Annapolis: An Enduring Legacy (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Annapolis.
Credits. This page was last revised on March 17, 2019. It was originally submitted on March 10, 2018, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia. This page has been viewed 83 times since then and 16 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on March 10, 2018, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.