Rockville Centre in Nassau County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
1904 First church erected
1935 Present church built
1957 Diocese of RVC est.
1981 Cathedral renovated
Erected by New York State Education Department.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion.
Location. 40° 39.564′ N, 73° 38.768′ W. Marker is in Rockville Centre, New York, in Nassau County. Marker is at the intersection of Quealy Place and Clinton Avenue on Quealy Place. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 29 Quealy Place, Rockville Centre NY 11570, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. St. Agnes World War II Memorial (a few steps from this marker); Anvil (a few steps from this marker); South Side (within shouting distance of this marker); 30 Pounder Parrott Gun (within shouting distance of this marker); Rockville Centre World War I Memorial (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Church of the Ascension The Wreck of the Mexico - January 2, 1837 (approx. 0.7 miles away); The Wreck of the Bristol - November 21, 1836 (approx. 0.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Rockville Centre.
Also see . . .
1. Our Parish > History (St. Agnes). "The history of our parish is long, going back over 120 years. We have broken this history down into 5 sections..." (Submitted on March 10, 2018.)
2. St. Agnes Cathedral (Rockville Centre, New York) (Wikipedia). "The Parish of St. Agnes was founded in 1887, when the first Mass was celebrated at Walter Johnson's blacksmith shop with an anvil as the altar. By 1890, the blacksmith shop could no longer accommodate the parishioners so a small group rented the Gildersleeve's Hall in the local Institute Building. In 1905, a white marble stone church was built, to serve the Catholic population of Rockville Centre. Due to the increasing number of parishioners, the small marble church grew insufficient for the needs of the parish, so demolition began in 1933, under the direction of Msgr. Peter Quealy....In 1935 the current building was completed and in 1957, Pope Pius XII announced the formation of the Diocese of Rockville Centre and appointed Most Rev. Walter P. Kellenberg to be its bishop. 1981 saw a major facelift for the aging building and while the Cathedral was being renovated, daily Mass was celebrated in the Episcopal Church of the Ascension located across the street. In 1986, Mother Teresa visited the Cathedral and spoke at a prayer service." (Submitted on March 10, 2018.)
Credits. This page was last revised on March 10, 2018. It was originally submitted on March 10, 2018, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California. This page has been viewed 104 times since then and 17 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on March 10, 2018, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California.