Pinckard in Dale County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
The Mack M. Matthews School
The original part of this building was home to one of the oldest African American schools in Dale County. In 1949 on this site, the new building for the Pinckard Colored School was constructed and Mack M. Matthews became its principal. The Pinckard School building burned in 1959 and reopened in 1961.
In 1962, a metal building from Newton was moved here to provide a lunchroom. In 1964, a gymnasium was constructed and the Dale County School Board changed the name to the Mack M. Matthews School. In 1965, both houses of the Alabama legislature passed a resolution supporting the name change to the Mack M. Matthews School.
In 1969, the segregated Mack M. Matthews School closed. In 1971, the Dale County School Board reopened the school as an integrated middle school but changed the name to South Dale Middle School.
The original building retains its historic exterior appearance from the period when it operated as a segregated black school from 1961-1969.
The campus also includes a 1987 cafeteria and 1999 classroom addition. The building was listed in the
Mack M. Matthews (June 8, 1902 - March 15, 1981) was born in Dale County, Al, the first child of Monroe & Dollie Matthews. He married Inella Crittenden and they had six children. Mack M. Matthews graduated from Lomax-Hannon College and received his BS Degree from Alabama State College He also attended Troy State College. He served as teacher and principal at Pinckard Colored School, located in Pinckard, Al. His contribution to education was honored by the Dale County School Board when they renamed the school "Mack M. Matthews School" During his teaching career he was instrumental in shaping the lives of many school children in Dale and Houston Counties, Ozark City Schools and Graceville, Florida Schools. Mack M. Matthews was the First Chairman of the Ozark Voters League, and First Honorary Life Chairman.
Outstanding Man of the Year in 1975
Erected 2011 by the Dale County School Board and the Committee to Rename South Dale Middle School to Mack M. Matthews School.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: African AmericansEducation. A significant historical date for this entry is March 15, 1949.
Location. 31° 18.948′ N, 85° 32.837′ W. Marker is in Pinckard, Alabama, in Dale County. Marker is on Randolph Street, 0.3 miles north of West Hwy 134 East (Alabama Route 134), on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 309 Randolph Street, Pinckard AL 36371, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Block House/River Port - Fort - Ferry (approx. 2.4 miles away); Baptist Collegiate Institute (approx. 3.1 miles away); Town of Midland City (approx. 3.2 miles away); Newton Confederate Memorial (approx. 3.7 miles away); The Hanging of Bill Sketoe (approx. 4.3 miles away); Boyhood Home of Rev. Bob Jones (approx. 6.1 miles away); Richmond - First County Seat Henry County / Richmond - First County Seat Dale County (approx. 6.4 miles away); Christian Hill Cemetery (approx. 8.1 miles away).
Credits. This page was last revised on October 31, 2019. It was originally submitted on March 15, 2018, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 486 times since then and 180 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on March 15, 2018, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.