Jekyll Island in Glynn County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Taking Care of Family
With a family of eight Charles Stewart Maurice quickly decided accommodations of the Club House would not suffice. In 1890 he built Hollybourne, with plenty of large open, informal spaces, a home away from home during their winter stays here on the island.
Mr. Maurice was a bridge-builder and Hollybourne makes use of these innovative structural techniques. In the attic is a truss system similar to that found on bridges. This allows large open interior spaces without apparent support; the building hangs from its upper stories.
Hollybourne is architecturally the most unusual structure in the Club compound. It was constructed of tabby, a local building material dating from colonial times. No other structure in the compound makes use of this ancient material, a mixture of oyster shells, lyme, water and sand.
Charlie Hill worked for the Maurice family for decades. He was employed early on by the family as their carriage driver, but through the years became their chauffeur. With his wife Angie, he was an integral part of the life on Jekyll Island. He
The Maurice family enjoyed their cottage here for over 50 years, and Charlie Hill helped make their winter visits a tradition. He was also present and assisted the Maurice daughters in packing the house up for its final season in 1942.
Erected by Jekyll Island Museum.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: African Americans • Bridges & Viaducts • Man-Made Features.
Location. 31° 3.734′ N, 81° 25.404′ W. Marker is in Jekyll Island, Georgia, in Glynn County. Marker is on Riverview Drive 0.2 miles south of Stable Road, on the left when traveling south. The marker is in front of the Hollybourne house, but difficult to see from the road. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 381 Riverview Drive, Jekyll Island GA 31527, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Active Life (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Preserving the Legacy (about 500 feet away); Brunswick Across the Sound (about 700 feet away); Up In Smoke (approx. 0.2 miles away); Arriving on This Island (approx. 0.2 miles away); Evolution of Elegance (approx. ¼ mile away); The Clubhouse (approx. ¼ mile away); Jekyll Island Club Wharf (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Jekyll Island.
Regarding Taking Care of Family. Hollybourne is part of the Jekyll Island Historic District.
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker. Jekyll Island Historic District
Also see . . .
1. Union Bridge Company. The Union Bridge Company was a bridge fabricator and contractor with works in Buffalo, New York and Athens, Pennsylvania. The Union Bridge company was formed in 1884 as a merger of several other bridge-building firms. Partners included George S. Field of Buffalo, Edumund Hayes of Buffalo, Charles MacDonald of New York City, Thomas C. Clarke of Seabright, NY and Charles Stewart Maurice of Athens, PA (Submitted on March 30, 2014, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
2. The Ghost of Peg Maurice. Why does Hollybourne, which once rang with the laughter of children and reverberated with joy now sit solemnly, silently alone? It is certainly not beyond repair; in fact, it is probably one of the better-constructed cottages on the island, as Mr. Maurice persuaded his (Submitted on March 30, 2014, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
3. Hollybourne Cottage Jekyll Island. Built in 1890 by Charles Stewart Maurice, this home housed the only family to be associated with the Jekyll Island Club from its inception to its final dissolution in 1948. The style was coined Jacobethan or psuedo-Jacobethan, it was an early example of an eclectic Tudor style built from about 1890 until 1940. (Submitted on March 30, 2014, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Credits. This page was last revised on March 23, 2018. It was originally submitted on March 30, 2014, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 527 times since then and 21 times this year. Last updated on March 16, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. Photos: 1. submitted on March 30, 2014, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. 2. submitted on March 16, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. 3, 4, 5. submitted on March 30, 2014, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.