Jekyll Island in Glynn County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Brunswick Across the Sound
Gateway and supplier to Jekyll Island was the busy port of Brunswick. Located at the mouth of the East River and accessible to even the largest ocean-going vessels, its docks and warehouses were laden with cargo. Railways eager to distribute these goods vied for access to the city, thus bringing the precious commodity of passengers.
Club members such as the Macys and Goulds had private railcars that would bring them to the port city on their migration to Jekyll Island.
Coming to the Edge
Most members traveled to their southern resort in private railcars and compartments. The Oglethorpe Hotel in downtown Brunswick then accommodated the Northerners in luxury, easing the transition to escape and seclusion.
Members wished a balance between isolation and convenience. The bearers of coal, ice, wines and other essential produce were welcomed to the Jekyll Wharf while the scrutiny of outsiders could effectively be deterred. Few area natives were included in life at Jekyll Island during the Club Era. All members, guests and employees were issued passes of admittance stressing the exclusivity
Erected by Jekyll Island Museum.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & Commerce • Railroads & Streetcars • Waterways & Vessels.
Location. 31° 3.619′ N, 81° 25.42′ W. Marker is in Jekyll Island, Georgia, in Glynn County. Marker can be reached from Riverview Drive 0.3 miles south of Stable Road, on the left when traveling south. Marker is located along walkway beside Jekyll Wharf, overlooking Fancy Bluff Creek, across the park lawn and due west of Crane Cottage. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 371 Riverview Drive, Jekyll Island GA 31527, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Active Life (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Arriving on This Island (about 500 feet away); Up In Smoke (about 500 feet away); Preserving the Legacy (about 500 feet away); Evolution of Elegance (about 700 feet away); Taking Care of Family (about 700 feet away); Jekyll Island Club Wharf (about 700 feet away); The Clubhouse (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Jekyll Island.
Also see . . .
History of Brunswick, Georgia. By the late 19th-century, despite yellow fever epidemics and occasional hurricanes, business in Brunswick was thriving, due to port business for cotton, lumber, naval stores, and oysters. During this period, Brunswick also enjoyed a tourist trade, stimulated by nearby Jekyll Island, which had become a posh, exclusive getaway for some of the era's most influential people. (Submitted on March 16, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
2. Oglethorpe Hotel (1888-1958). Located on the highest point in the city of Brunswick, the Oglethorpe Hotel was one of the largest and most beautiful in the south. Constructed of brick, three stories high, a frontage of 267 feet, wings running back 140 feet on either end, and a wide porch running 240 feet in length across the front. The building was capped by conical towers in the center and at the corners. (Submitted on March 16, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Credits. This page was last revised on March 16, 2018. It was originally submitted on March 16, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 133 times since then and 9 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on March 16, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.