College Park in Prince George's County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
City of College Park
The Taliaferro House was built circa 1893. This photograph depicts the house in 1932. It was clad with asbestos shingles in the 1960's. Architectural features of this simplified Queen-Anne style house include a wraparound porch, canted oriel window, and decorative bracketing. It was the home of Warner Taliaferro, professor of agronomy at the Maryland Agricultural College, and his wife Emily, daughter of John Oliver Johnson who developed the 1889 Johnson and Curriden's subdivision of College Park. It is still the home of Johnson's descendants.
John Oliver Johnson (pictured above was half of the duo Johnson & Curriden that developed the College Park subdivision in 1889. This neighborhood is now known as Old Town College Park.
The original subdivision development encompassed 125 acres. Most of its streets were named for eastern colleges and universities that were prominent at the time.
Erected by Anacostia Trails Heritage Area.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Agriculture Architecture • Education. A significant historical year for this entry is 1893.
Location. 38° 58.783′ N, 76° 55.746′ W. Marker is in College Park, Maryland, in Prince George's County. Marker is on Columbia Avenue south of College Avenue, on the left when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 7409 Columbia Avenue, College Park MD 20740, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Cory House (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); McDonnell House (about 500 feet away); Old Parish House (about 600 feet away); City of College Park (about 600 feet away); College Park Airport (about 700 feet away); America's Military Takes Flight (about 800 feet away); Flying the Mail (approx. 0.2 miles away); Harrison Store (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in College Park.
Credits. This page was last revised on January 16, 2022. It was originally submitted on March 16, 2018, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia. This page has been viewed 258 times since then and 54 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on March 16, 2018, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.