College Park in Prince George's County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Family, Church and Community in Lakeland
Lakeland's churches have always been important centers of community activity, and they remain so today. Churches were not only places of worship; they also served a variety of the community's social and educational needs. The original churches of Lakeland included Embry African Methodist Episcopal Church and First Baptist Church.
A one-room schoolhouse for African American children was built in 1904, largely through the efforts of community leaders John C. Johnson, Pleasant Brown and Edward Carter. The space soon proved inadequate so from 1907 to 1917 children also went to school at the First Baptist Church, and in the homes of the school's trustees. The John C. Johnson Elementary School, a two-room elementary school, was built in 1917, funded in part by the Rosenwald Foundation and the community.
The growing need to educate the African American children beyond elementary school prompted parents
Even for the close-knit community of Lakeland, challenges such as flooding and relocation threatened the town's stability. These issues coupled with various urban renewal projects have helped to dramatically change the demographics of the Lakeland community. As a result of these population shifts, many of the residents who called Lakeland home have left the area.
In 1976, the man-made lake was relocated to its current location to make way for the extension of the Washington Metro rail line. Lake Artemesia is situated on what was the eastside of Lakeland where the first African American Lakelanders settled. The 38 acre lake connects the remaining community, College Park Airport and the Calvert Road Park.
Today, Lakeland residents, past and present, work to protect the physical and emotional place that Lakeland has in their lives. This includes maintaining their community spirit and love for places. It is through their dedication, that the community has transcended the challenges it has faced and survives to this day.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: African Americans • Churches & Religion • Education. In addition, it is included in the African Methodist Episcopal (AME) Church, and the Rosenwald Schools series lists. A significant historical year for this entry is 1904.
Location. 38° 59.085′ N, 76° 55.271′ W. Marker has been reported damaged. Marker is in College Park, Maryland, in Prince George's County. Marker can be reached from 55th Avenue south of Berwyn Road, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 5519 Cleveland Avenue, College Park MD 20740, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this location. Lakeland at the Beginning (here, next to this marker); Origins of Lake Artemesia (approx. 0.3 miles away); College Park Airport (approx. 0.4 miles away); a different marker also named College Park Airport (approx. 0.4 miles away); Arthur "Al" Welsh, 1881-1912: Pioneer Aviator (approx. 0.4 miles away); Dervey Augusta Lomax (approx. 0.4 miles away); Flying the Mail (approx. 0.4 miles away); America's Military Takes Flight (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in College Park.
More about this marker.
Lakeland's first school was a one room schoolhouse. Teacher Geroge G. Waters sits with students, ca 1920. Courtesy of the Randall Family.
Lakeland High School, ca. 1960.
The Lakeland Tavern was one of the most popular hangouts for residents of Lakeland, ca. 1960. Courtesy of Thelma Lomax.
Group of children in front of Embry African American Episcopal Church, 1979. Courtesy of Maxine and Delphine Gross.
Choir from First Baptist Church, ca. 1940. Courtesy of Mary Day Hollomond.
Lakeland Elementary School upper grades. February 17, 1944. Courtesy of Leonard Smith.
Group of students pictured in front of Lakeland High School, ca. 1940. Courtesy of Diane Ligon.
The Counts, a social club for the men of Lakeland held formal events at the Lakeland Hall, ca. 1940. Courtesy of Diane Weems Ligon.
The wives of the Counts in formal attire, ca. 1940. Courtesy of Diane Weems Ligon.
Lakeland Elementary School, built in 1920 with funds from the community and matching funds from the Julius Rosenwald Foundation, circa 1920. Courtesy of the Julius Rosenwald Foudation.
Credits. This page was last revised on July 16, 2020. It was originally submitted on March 17, 2018, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia. This page has been viewed 183 times since then and 16 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on March 17, 2018, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.