Jekyll Island in Glynn County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
The Dolphin Motor Hotel
Historic St. Andrews Beach
The St. Andrews Beach Corporation formed in early 1956 to build a motel and restaurant here on Jekyll Island's once segregated South End. The company included many successful black business owners from Brunswick. In partnership with the Jekyll Island Authority, it created a notable resort destination for African Americans on Jekyll Island.
The St. Andrews Beach Corporation began building the Dolphin Club and Motor Hotel at this location in 1958. By August 1959, the motel was open for business. The enterprise was short lived due to financial difficulties, and the Jekyll Island Authority soon bought the resort for $299,000.
In 1960, the Jekyll Island Authority leased the Dolphin Club property to Dave Jackson, a prosperous and respected black farmer, banker, and businessman from Adel, Georgia.
Jackson relied on his family to help run the Dolphin Club resort. His two sisters, Annabelle Robinson and Betty Chandler, managed the Dolphin Club's hotel, while his nephew, James Chandler, oversaw the restaurant and lounge.
Under the Jackson family, the Dolphin Club became a popular vacation destination
New Life for the Dolphin
The life of the facility as the Dolphin Club and Motor Hotel was short lived due to the integration of the island's amenities. Dave Jackson closed the operation in June of 1966, due to lack of business.
The Jekyll Island Authority reinvented the site as a Group Camp and Youth Center in 1968. The buildings hosted church groups and youth oriented organizations. By 1970, sports fields were added to the northern side of the complex.
The Georgia 4-H first leased the site in 1983, beginning with limited courses for youth groups and schools. By 1987, the organization offered a successful year-round environmental education program that continues to this day.
Erected 2016 by Jekyll Island Authority.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: African Americans • Parks & Recreational Areas.
Location. 31° 1.011′ Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 550 South Beachview Drive, Jekyll Island GA 31527, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Beach Pavilion (within shouting distance of this marker); The Dolphin Club Lounge (within shouting distance of this marker); Beach Access (within shouting distance of this marker); St. Andrews Beach (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Separate But Equal? (about 500 feet away); Wanderer Memory Trail (approx. half a mile away); What Was Here Before? (approx. 2.3 miles away); Jekyll Island Boat House Site, Shipshape for the Season (approx. 2˝ miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Jekyll Island.
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker. Historic St. Andrews Beach
Also see . . .
1. Triumphs and Challenges: The Segregation Years of Jekyll Island.
Construction began in October (Submitted on March 17, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
2. Camp Jekyll Center History.
(Link includes photos of the Dolphin Motor Hotel, through it's various stages and renovations.)
Several African-American business owners formed the St. Andrews Beach Corporation and built the Dolphin Club and Motor Hotel, a motel for the African-American visitors to the island. The motel was opened in August 1959, but in late 1959, the corporation was dissolved and the hotel sold to the Jekyll Island Authority. The Dolphin Club and Motor Hotel closed in June 1966. The building was used off and on for a group camp and youth center from the late 1960's until the late 1970's. (Submitted on March 17, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Credits. This page was last revised on March 24, 2018. It was originally submitted on March 17, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 121 times since then and 28 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on March 17, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.