Jackson in Hinds County, Mississippi — The American South (East South Central)
Known at the date of its closing as the GM&O Depot, this passenger depot was constructed in 1927 by the New Orleans Great Northern Railroad (NOGN) and later served the Gulf, Mobile & Northern Railroad (GM&N) as well as the Gulf, Mobile & Ohio Railroad (GM&O). Mississippi Governor Dennis Murphree drove a golden spike at the depot’s opening ceremony in July 1927.
Depot reached its height of activity in the mid-1930s, when passenger service linked New Orleans through Jackson to St. Louis. In 1935 the GM&N began operating “The Rebel”, the first streamlined high-speed diesel passenger train in the South and the second in the United States. Its clean lines, rounded corners, and distinctive red stripe gave “The Rebel” a sleek, modern appearance, and his passengers were served by on-board hostesses. The depot was remodeled in 1939 to echo the design of the new train.
The original architectural design of the depot building, with its long profile, low hipped roofs, and broadly projecting eaves, was influenced by the prairie style popular in the
When the depot was remodeled in 1939 to reflect the modern design of the new “Rebel” train, the square brick peers of the south porch were replaced with smooth cylindrical peers painted in red and silver bands; the brackets that originally supported the eaves were removed, and red stripes were painted on the soffit of the eaves. On the interior, glass blocks filled the transom over the south entrance, polished chrome hardware was installed on doors, and rounded wall was added, and chair rails were decorated with his distinctive red stripes.
Although the NOGN Railroad began service in 1909 between New Orleans-Slidell, Louisiana, and Jackson, Mississippi, until the late 1920s, Jackson was the northern terminus of the line. Because of their limited service area, NOGN shared Jackson facilities with other railway companies at
Early on, passenger service to New Orleans from this depot was provided by gasoline-powered motor coaches nicknamed “doodlebugs.” After the GM&N acquired the NOGN in 1929, the Jackson depot was served by express passenger service linking New Orleans, Jackson, and St. Louis, with additional service to Mobile. In 1935 the high-speed “Rebel” train was introduced.
Rail passenger service to this depot was discontinued in 1954, and the building was abandoned in 1972 when the Illinois Central Railroad merged with the Gulf, Mobile and Ohio Railroad.
In 1982 the depot was acquired by the state of Mississippi and rehabilitated in 1983-84 for offices of the Mississippi Department of Archives and History. Nine former hostesses from “The Rebel” participated in the re-dedication ceremony on November 2, 1984, as did Mrs. Mary Frances Murphree Ford, who had accompanied her father, Governor Dennis Murphree, at the depot’s dedication in 1927.
Erected 2014 by the Mississippi Department of Archives and History.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Architecture • Notable Buildings • Railroads & Streetcars.
Location. 32° 17.906′ N, 90° 10.753′ W. Marker is in Jackson, Mississippi, in Hinds County. Marker can be reached from Commerce Street west of South Jefferson Street. Do not go by GPS for the street address, instead go east on Mississippi Street from State Street (U.S. Highway 51), turn right (south) on North Jefferson Street (North Jefferson changes to South Jefferson at East Amite Street). From South Jefferson Street, turn right (west) on Commerce Street (runs under the elevated East Pearl Street). Turn right (north) at the Museum Division of the Mississippi Division of Archives and History which is the Old GM&O Depot. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 618 East Pearl Street, Jackson MS 39201, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Merci Train Memorial (a few steps from this marker); Mississippi's Old Capitol (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Old Capitol (about 400 feet away); The Eagle and Bowman Hotels (about 700 feet away); Central Station (approx. 0.2 miles away); Jackson City Hall (approx. 0.2 miles away); Jackson Municipal Library Sit-In (approx. ¼ mile away); First Presbyterian Church (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Jackson.
Also see . . . The Gulf, Mobile and Ohio Railroad: The Rebel Route. (Submitted on March 17, 2018, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.)
Credits. This page was last revised on March 17, 2018. It was originally submitted on March 17, 2018, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 128 times since then and 37 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on March 17, 2018, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.