Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Brunson in Hampton County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

The Town Of Brunson

 
 
The Town Of Brunson Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Mike Stroud, January 2008
1. The Town Of Brunson Marker
Inscription.  On November 7, 1872, a post office was established in this community, named for William E. Brunson, Sr., who donated the site. Brunson was chartered in 1874. The Town Hall, built in 1906, originally stood on stilts and covered the town's artesian well. Brunson's school system traces its orgin to the 1800s to Pineville Academy and Brunson Graded & Military School.
 
Erected 1971 by Brunson Civic Council. (Marker Number 25-2.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Notable Places. A significant historical month for this entry is November 1850.
 
Location. 32° 55.651′ N, 81° 11.475′ W. Marker is in Brunson, South Carolina, in Hampton County. Marker is on U.S. 278, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 816 N Railroad Ave, Brunson SC 29911, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Fairfax (approx. 3.4 miles away); Prince Williams Baptist Church (approx. 3½ miles away); Allendale County War Memorial (approx. 3.6 miles away); Bethlehem Church
Model of the Town Hall image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Mike Stroud, March 1, 2008
2. Model of the Town Hall
Click or scan to see
this page online
(approx. 3.8 miles away); Gifford Rosenwald School (approx. 5.2 miles away); Plywoods - Plastics Corporation / Westinghouse Micarta Division (approx. 5.7 miles away); Harmony Baptist Church (approx. 5.7 miles away); American Legion Hut (approx. 5.7 miles away).
 
Regarding The Town Of Brunson.
Brunson's Famous Town Hall
Ripley's "Believe It or Not" cited it as the only Town Hall on stilts in the world. It stands tall and proud as a landmark of this once "largest town" on the Charleston & Western Railroad. The main reason for the stilts was to provide shade and accessibility for an artesian well beneath the building. (Hampton County SC Org.)
 
Also see . . .  The coming of the railroad established quite a few towns in Hampton County. (Submitted on March 23, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.)
 
Old Town Hall, relocated in 1959 to its present location image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Mike Stroud, March 2008
3. Old Town Hall, relocated in 1959 to its present location
It is used as a museum. Next to it sits a model of the town hall, on stilts.
The current Brunson post office image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Mike Stroud, January 2008
4. The current Brunson post office
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 27, 2019. It was originally submitted on March 23, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 1,254 times since then and 64 times this year. Last updated on September 16, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on March 23, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=11519

Paid Advertisements
 
 

Jun. 25, 2022