St. Mary's Pub
The first business here was The Crescent Candy Store in 1925, next came Olcott's Candy Store and St. Mary's Tavern, which opened after the Repeal of Prohibition in 1933. Owners have included Rosa Pacheco, Arthur Gwilliam,Leda Wallgren, Leon Weber, and Peter Cancilla.
Starting in the 1960s, "Marge" ran St. Mary's Pub for 30 years. The pub was revived by current owner Maria Davis and is often cited for "The Best Bloody Marys in San Francisco." It is rumored to be haunted.
Dedicated March 24, 2018/6023
Honorable Order of E Clampus Vitus, Capitulus Redivivus Yerba Buena Chapter #1
Erected 2018 by Honorable Order of E Clampus Vitus Capitulus Redivivus Yerba Buena Chapter #1.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Industry & Commerce. In addition, it is included in the E Clampus Vitus series list.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. St. Mary's College (within shouting distance of this marker); Glen Canyon Park History (approx. one mile away); The Old Clam House - 1861 (approx. 1.2 miles away); The Golden Hydrant (approx. 1.6 miles away); Miguel Hidalgo (approx. 1.7 miles away); The Lexington Club (approx. 1.7 miles away); Randy Shilts (approx. 1.8 miles away); Christine Jorgensen (approx. 1.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in San Francisco.
More about this marker. Marker is located at the entrance of the bar.
Credits. This page was last revised on March 26, 2018. It was originally submitted on March 25, 2018, by Frank Gunshow Sanchez of Hollister, California. This page has been viewed 150 times since then and 22 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on March 25, 2018, by Frank Gunshow Sanchez of Hollister, California. 3. submitted on March 26, 2018, by Frank Gunshow Sanchez of Hollister, California. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.