Gloucester in Essex County, Massachusetts — The American Northeast (New England)
Charles Heberle (1862-1956) was sent at age 13 from Virginia to Essex, where for three years he was indentured to the Essex Tannery. Once free, he worked nearby for a dairy farmer, Caleb Cogswell. Soon, Heberle chose waterfront over farm and shoveled coal aboard tugboats. Earning a post as Captain, he risked his life to tow a flame engulfed gasoline barge. He founded the Gloucester Coal and Lumber Company, now the Building Center, with the salvage fee.
The City archives contain apprenticeship papers for 373 children in Gloucester from 1739 to 1852. See more historical gleanings from the Archives Committee at City Hall.
Erected by Gloucester Harborwalk. (Marker Number 17.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & Commerce • Waterways & Vessels.
Location. 42° 36.72′ N, 70° 39.68′ W. Marker is in Gloucester, Massachusetts, in Essex County. Marker is on Rogers Street (Massachusetts Route 127) west of Duncan Street, on the right when traveling eastTouch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Gloucester MA 01930, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Rocky Neck (within shouting distance of this marker); Dogtown & Babson Builders (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Captain Howard Blackburn (about 500 feet away); Captain Alfred (Centennial) Johnson (about 500 feet away); Porter Anchor (about 500 feet away); Solomon Jacobs Landing & Park (about 600 feet away); Admiralty Anchor (about 600 feet away); Cape Ann Granite (about 600 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Gloucester.
More about this marker. Marker is a composite plaque mounted on a 4-foot tall granite pedestal.
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker. Gloucester Harborwalk
Also see . . .
1. Duncan's Point.
The Building Center is the successor to the Gloucester Coal Company, which is what Captain Charles T. Heberle called Bennett's wharf and coal pockets after he bought the firm out in 1903. Cap Heberle's early fame was in towboats that steamed about doing the harbor's close quarter's work - Nellie, Priscilla, Charlie, and Mariner - before auxiliary diesel engines in the schooners put them out of business. The one he built and held closest to his heart (she had steam steering and could turn on a nickel) was the Eveleth. (Submitted on March 25, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
2. Gloucester Harborwalk 17: Charles Heberle.
Courtesy Heberle (Submitted on March 26, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Credits. This page was last revised on March 26, 2018. It was originally submitted on March 25, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 230 times since then and 25 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on March 25, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.